Silage Wrappers

/ Silage Wrappers #1  

jagyzf

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota
We are thinking of buying a wrapper. The past few years we have had a guy do this for us and it worked good enough that we would like to buy our own. Any one have any good and bad points of different brands?

/ Silage Wrappers #2  
jagyzf said:
We are thinking of buying a wrapper. The past few years we have had a guy do this for us and it worked good enough that we would like to buy our own. Any one have any good and bad points of different brands?
  1. What width baler do you have?
  2. Do you want an individual wrapper or tube type wrapper?

/ Silage Wrappers
We would like an individual type so we can sell the bales if we can find buyers. The baler is 5 in width, and makes 4 dia. Bales.

Just what little research I have done we like McHale and Vermeer. Don't have any information on any other brands.

/ Silage Wrappers #4  
jagyzf said:
We would like an individual type so we can sell the bales if we can find buyers. The baler is 5 in width, and makes 4 dia. Bales.

Just what little research I have done we like McHale and Vermeer. Don't have any information on any other brands.
Most individual wrappers work best with a 4' wide bale. The ideal bale size for a wrapped bale going to be sold is 4x4. Not everyone will have larger tractors to handle the 5x4 bales. A 5x4 of 4x5 bale can weigh over 2500 lbs. The 4x4 bale is usually in the 1500-2000 lbs range depending on the crop and baler. The McHale 991B will pick up and handle 5' wide bales. We have some customers doing a 5x5 bale with the McHale 991B. The TANCO will also handle the 4x5 bales. Realize that haylage bales above a 4x4 bale are very heavy and will require large heavy 4 wd tractors in excess of 100 HP. When you keep the package size below 2000 LBS then operators with todays 60-85 HP tractors can handle these bales. Todays lighter 50-70 HP tractors may pick up the 4x5 bales but the load bearing components in those are not designed to be continually handling 2500-3000 Lbs bales.
Most of the individual wrapper technology comes from Europe where 90% of balers are 4' wide. The tube-line wrappers started in Canada. Larger dairy producers usually like the tube-line style because they feed at the same location every day. The individual wrappers have the place among the cow/calf and small dairy producers. The cow/calf producer is often feeding at multiple locations miles apart and has to transport these bales on the highways sometimes side-by-side on a trailer. A 8.5' wide load is workable but a 10.5' wide will cause wrecks and you'll be buying some mail boxes. Wide loads on the highways are no problem in Iowa, SD, KS, OK, WI, MN and other areas where they are accustom to large Ag equipment on the roads. You will find out the small producers are on the fringes of the cities and towns and have to deal with traffic problems so the 4' wide bales work better for them.

/ Silage Wrappers #5  
There are a lot of Kverneland wrappers in my area. I assume they sell them in the USA too.
A friend of mine in Finland has an Elho wrapper ELHO - Always ahead - Aina edellä! but those arent sold in the rest of Europe.

Bale wrapping is a Swedish/Finnish thing. Then Ireland followed the trend, then the rest of Europe.

/ Silage Wrappers #6  
Renze said:
There are a lot of Kverneland wrappers in my area. I assume they sell them in the USA too.
A friend of mine in Finland has an Elho wrapper ELHO - Always ahead - Aina edellä! but those arent sold in the rest of Europe.

Bale wrapping is a Swedish/Finnish thing. Then Ireland followed the trend, then the rest of Europe.
The Kverneland wrappers (Vicon style) are here as well but they will not sidelift a good 4x5 bale on to their table and their table is smaller and the 5' bale wants to come off the table if the wrapper is on perfectly level. The KV wrappers work fine on 4' wide bales in the 4x4 or 4.5x4 sizes.
KV now has a copy of the McHale wrapper but it is set up for 4' wide bales and too has problems with 5' wide bales staying on the table. Crops like sudan grass and soybeans & millet make bales that are harder to wrap. The KV McHale copy will pick up a heavier bale than the older style Vicon wrappers would.

/ Silage Wrappers #7  
CCI said:
.......the older style Vicon wrappers...
These wrappers are based on the Underhaug round bale wrappers, who invented them. This Danish (?) company is taken up in the Vicon/Kverneland group long ago, long before bale wrapping ever gained popularity... ;)

CCI said:
The Kverneland wrappers (Vicon style) are here as well
Vicon is a Dutch brand, though i've never seen Vicon branded square bale wrappers over here.... I think they just put any of their names on the machine which is best known to the intended buying public... :)

Another concept which is gaining popularity is the MIDI baler/wrapper combination, to bale for horseowners:
Agronic - Midi Round Balers

some companies tried to introduce mini round bales of 2 feet diameter, or wrappers for small square bales: I know a guy who bought a mini round baler, but he couldnt make any profit: His only customers were private homeowners with just an acre of hay: even with the small machine it took a long time to bale a field of 10 small bales, and most people think they can rake 2 acres by hand, but in 30°C temperatures, most city slickers give up soon... so when he arrived to bale, the grass yet had to be raked....

In other words, the mini balers dont work, as the only customers for it, are the ones with a small goat pasture that takes more time finding the location than doing the actual work... combined with the extra plastic film used to wrap small bales, it makes a very expensive method.

The midi round baler seems to work.

/ Silage Wrappers #8  
High Guys
This is my version of the history of the bale wrapper. The original idea was dreamt up by an Australian here in Victoria Australia (South Gippsland I believe) and the rights were purchased by Underhaug as per Renze's thread. The guy who came here to do the deal was a guy by the name Eina Leah and he has since retired about 7 - 8 years ago. His son Snorre Leah also worked for Kverneland in the after sales service department at Underhaug as well. This was a company in Naerbo in Norway who originally made potato planting, harvesting equipment. This company was brought out by the Kverneland Group and has since been on sold and is now privately owned and only produce potato equipment under the Underhaug brand name these days. But the rights to the wrapper remain with the Kverneland Group. As I understand it, the original McHale mentioned earlier was a very similar copy of the Kverneland (Underhaug) machine. As I understand it, McHale were the importers for Ireland for Kverneland and there relationship went sour and hence the McHale machine was developed. Today, the original Underhaug machine is sold as Vicon, Taarup or Kverneland machines. Some of the models cross over from one brand to the other and some are made specifically for the brand as all three brands are owned by the Kverneland Group. The manufacture of these machines was shifted to Gottmadingen in the South of Germany for about two years and about three years ago were then shifted to Renze's neighbourhood and are all built in Holland at Geldrop these days which is the old PJ Zweegers (PZ cyclomowers and Haybobs) factory. All of the Kverneland machines from the early to mid ninties onwards will wrap your bales for you and they do not need to be on flat ground to do so. If the bale is rolling out of the table, there is something wrong with the setup or the country is too steep to be working on. If the hydraulic flow is too high, this will cause the bale to spin out of the table on undulating ground. Obviously the heavier the bales, the more wear on the lifting mechanism and the hydraulic system.
I am sorry about the long windedness of this and I hope it helps.

/ Silage Wrappers #9  
i don't know if this is correct but the story i got about the idea for the wrapper goes something along these line. : a few sales reps for a packaging company had some rolls of overgrown glad wrap for demo. cant remember what they where meant to be used for but anyway... they where sitting in a bar having a few ales and watching a farmer try to put round bales into the old silage bag things (you haven't lived until you have tried to do this) they grabbed these demo rolls and went out and brought a few bales off the farmer. they proceeded to roll the bale by hand while wrapping the wrap around the bale, much like a modern wrapper does but by hand and on the ground. later they had a feed sample done and it came out very well so with that the had a machine developed as per trac tech's post. But yeah it was in Australia.

/ Silage Wrappers #10  
as for the wrapper lifting bales. my one will up to 5' so long as i have not multi cut (you know the crop cutters inside the front of some baler) the bale. this puts it over the limit. bale weight does go up by about 20% with the cutters. they are seriously heavy. yes bales wile come off the table. stop spinning them so fast. the sticker says 30rpm max but i bet the bales gone by 25.