older jd seed drill

/ older jd seed drill #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
saw an older jd seed drill on ebay and was wondering what it may be worth? they don't list a model # so i may ask them for the serial # or model plate # to try and get more info. seed box looks to be in ok shape a bit of rust, as its been sitting outside.

/ older jd seed drill #2  
I'd make sure that it has the appropriate seed boxes for what you want to do before getting to excited.

/ older jd seed drill #3  
farmerjim said:
saw an older jd seed drill on ebay and was wondering what it may be worth? they don't list a model # so i may ask them for the serial # or model plate # to try and get more info. seed box looks to be in ok shape a bit of rust, as its been sitting outside.

Hard to answer your question without a photo or other ID.
But for what it's worth, here's the old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 seed drill I'm refurbishing now. Paid $275 for two of them, a primary unit and a spares unit. They have 20 single disc openers spaced 6" apart.

DSCF0281Small.jpg

DSCF0158Small.jpg

These drills looked OK on the outside, but the feeds in several of the seed cups were rusted together. Had to completely disassembly the feed cups and soak in WD-40 to free them up. Also the bearings in the disc openers were clogged with dried grease so I had to remove each opener from the frame, disassemble and soak the bearings in mineral spirits to free them up.

I follow the eBay sales on grain drills. Here are a few recent prices for vintage JD Van Brunt drills with grass seeding attachments:

JD 16x8B (16 openers, 8" spacing)--$800
JD 15x7 FB (15 openers, 7" spacing)--$875
JD 17x7 FBB--$461
JD 17x6--$162
JD 13x7--$357

/ older jd seed drill #4  
is the one on ebay pulled by tractor or horse?

/ older jd seed drill #6  
farmerjim said:

Looks like it could be a JD Van Brunt 16x8 B.

I assume you want to use this drill and not just have it as a lawn ornament.

The fertilizer box (the large one) shows a lot of rust in the bottom. I'd be careful here. Some of the parts in the seed cups may be rusted together and might be unusable. If so, you may have a hard time finding usable replacement parts.

The grass boxes (the two small ones) look OK. But you never know about the condition of the seed cups until you get a chance to disassemble that mechanism. Could be a rust problem there.

Appears to have single-disc openers. Be careful here. Several of the discs on my MM P3-6 drill were worn and were out of round. Had to swap them for better discs from my spares unit.

Tires look pretty worn, but are easily replaced. You just have to match the tire size so the grain measuring mechanism doesn't change it's calibration.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for this one.

/ older jd seed drill
i will def be using a drill once i get one, got some hayfields that need a bit of help. the more i keep looking at this one the more i'm leaning away. mainly because of the fert box rust and such, also it would be a bit of a hike to go get, i 'd spend probably 200 in diesel for the trip towing my trailer.