Round Baler Chains

/ Round Baler Chains #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I bought a used JD 467. I am in the middle of the 2nd cutting. . I figured it was time to give it a good cleaning and learn more about it. I was looking over the chains, and one needs some links taken out. Another one I had to adjust an idler. I like working on my own equipment - I always learn something new.

How often do people check the chains, idlers, wear blocks, etc? I looks like once I get it down, it will be easy to do. It is always harder the first couple times.

I think I need to buy a service manual to really dive into it.

D.

/ Round Baler Chains #2  
I try to look it over pretty good every day. I spray lube my chains so it get ;) to see how they are acting running a couple of times a day. I have been watching one of the drive chains the last 200 bales or so. Almost done baling for the year(I think) and the tensioner is at the end and it is running with a bit of slack in it. I am debating whether to put a new chain on or to just take a couple of links out. I have not had to replace any of the other chains or adjust any of the other tensioners.
I generally brush all the hay out of the baler at the end of each day and have been rinsing it out with a water hose every couple of weeks. The last couple of days I have been using an air compressor and hand gun with a long tube to blow out all the dust and hay. It works pretty good, is fast and keeps everything dry and clean. A clean baler is sure easier to inspect and service.

/ Round Baler Chains #3  
chh said:
I am debating whether to put a new chain on or to just take a couple of links out.

Stretched (worn) chains cause sprockets to wear out faster (no longer line up on the teeth properly). I'd replace the chain and any worn sprockets.

/ Round Baler Chains
JD says if out of spec remove 2 links. How many times should one do that?

D.

/ Round Baler Chains #5  
I would guess any more than once and the chain would be so worn that it would need replaced. I had an old OMC soft core baler at one time that was a chain eater. It did good if the main drive chain lasted 500 bales and it had an outo oiler system that was put out so much oil on the chains that is made a huge mess all over the inside of the doors. I generally replaced it every year and removed links from it sometime during the hay season. I am somewhere over 2000 now on the '07 MF 2746 A and have not replaced or adjusted any of the chains. The one I mentioned is the only one that shows any sign of wear and all the sprockets still look like new. I had my doubts about the spray chain lube, but it sure seems to do a good job and doesn't make a mess like the old oiler system in that baler.

/ Round Baler Chains
chh said:
I would guess any more than once and the chain would be so worn that it would need replaced. I had an old OMC soft core baler at one time that was a chain eater. It did good if the main drive chain lasted 500 bales and it had an outo oiler system that was put out so much oil on the chains that is made a huge mess all over the inside of the doors. I generally replaced it every year and removed links from it sometime during the hay season. I am somewhere over 2000 now on the '07 MF 2746 A and have not replaced or adjusted any of the chains. The one I mentioned is the only one that shows any sign of wear and all the sprockets still look like new. I had my doubts about the spray chain lube, but it sure seems to do a good job and doesn't make a mess like the old oiler system in that baler.

Tough call - the baler only has like 1500 bales thru it. I have put 120 or so thr u it.

There are numerous chains - which ones do you replace?

D.

/ Round Baler Chains #7  
charlz said:
Stretched (worn) chains cause sprockets to wear out faster (no longer line up on the teeth properly). I'd replace the chain and any worn sprockets.
I totally agree the best thing to do is to replace the chain. A worn chain will wear your sprockets out prematurely.
Use chain lube that is a foam or graphite base and your chains will last twice as long. The biggest advantage is in case of a fire you will not have all that oil residue on the baler that is very hard to put out if it catches on fire.

/ Round Baler Chains #8  
ddivinia said:
Tough call - the baler only has like 1500 bales thru it. I have put 120 or so thr u it.

There are numerous chains - which ones do you replace?

D.

I don't remember for sure how the JD is set up. You will notice though while it is running that the chains that drive the pickup and stuffers run much slower than the chains to the drive rollers. The slow chains will take a long time to wear out. They have very little stress on them. The chains going to the drive rollers run faster and have much more stress. They are the ones that will need replacement sooner. It seems to me that there is always one that wears faster than the others. For me it appears that the one to the upper drive roller will wear faster than the others.

I used Vermeer chain lube most of the year and then tried the Gunk brand of industrial chain lube from the auto parts store. The Gunk worked good and was cheaper per can the the Vermeer. Vermeer was cheaper than AGCO's lube. Stay away from that cheap Champion stuff though.

/ Round Baler Chains
OK - it sounds like pull 2 links out once and then replace the chain. I am going to call the dealer today and see what JD recommends. replacing a chain is much easier than messing with the sprockets, etc.

The upper roller chain looks like it has the most stress on it. It is the longest and is the one that you can tell people don't keep an eye on things when it falls off and tears up the lower front of the baler.

When I was looking at used balers I saw so many that chain had some off and tore it up. Also, chain guides missing, etc.

I have some of the JD chain lube. I believe it is graphite based, I will have to check the label. I was running the baler at idle and it was making all kinds of noise. I oiled that main chain and after a couple minutes or spraying it - it quieted right down.

I love learning about all this equipments,
D>

Thanks,
D.

/ Round Baler Chains
I talked to the mechanics down at the dealership and they say pull 2 links out once - then replace the chain. The long chain is easy to replace some of the smaller ones in there look tough. One of them you have to pull both sprockets and set it back on there with the new chain. One of the mechanics says to break the chain and put a master link in it unless you have to replace the sprockets.

So, I figure this winter I will put all new chains on it - looks like there is 5 in there. I have a service manual on order. Over 1000 pages...

D.