I don't know if this guy is serious or joking?

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am serious, I watched his videos this morning and I really can not tell if he is joking around or if he is really serious. Either way it is ammusing in a sad sort of way:rolleyes:

Vetiver Grass Bales - How to Bale Vetiver Grass Movies

If he is serious about what he is trying to do there why wouldn't he have someone that actually knows about baling hay and straw helping him. My favorite line is when he said "you need a big enough tractor, something around 50 hp.... or 25 hp":eek::eek:

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #2  
Robert I think we have way too much free time on our hands.

Wayne

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking?
Robert I think we have way too much free time on our hands.

Wayne

Well, I hurt my side baling hay the other day so I have been sitting on my butt all weekend trying to rest it so yeah, I have plenty of free time right now but I wish I didn't as it is uncomfortable free time.:(

I do like playing around watching videos when I am sore as there are a lot of funny videos online.:)

So do you think he was serious or joking? I am still thinking this guy is serious.

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #4  
I think he's serious. But its all a bit of a joke.

What I find more funny is he cuts his grass with a brush hog!

He appears to have built himself a house from the bales

Vetiver Grass Bales - Photo Essay

I think he's serious. But its all a bit of a joke.

What I find more funny is he cuts his grass with a brush hog!

He appears to have built himself a house from the bales

Vetiver Grass Bales - Photo Essay

The way I understood him is they harvest the hay by hand, spread it out on a hard grass ground (tried it on mud and it didn't work well he said), then run over it with the brush chopper twice. If you do it three or four times then the grass is too chopped up to bale:rolleyes:

For the amount of time and effort he is putting into this he should have just brought in a high capacity baler. He wouldn't have had to chop it up with the brush hog either. I also wonder if the tine feed system New Holland uses might have been a better idea for him then the auger feed John Deere as that was his main problem, plugging the auger.

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #6  
The way I understood him is they harvest the hay by hand, spread it out on a hard grass ground (tried it on mud and it didn't work well he said), then run over it with the brush chopper twice. If you do it three or four times then the grass is too chopped up to bale:rolleyes:

For the amount of time and effort he is putting into this he should have just brought in a high capacity baler. He wouldn't have had to chop it up with the brush hog either. I also wonder if the tine feed system New Holland uses might have been a better idea for him then the auger feed John Deere as that was his main problem, plugging the auger.

I think hes nuts to be honest :D

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #8  
The really, really funny part of this is that this guy is in Thailand trying to re-invent industrial age farming for his Masters thesis--no doubt on a grant someone has given him for a substantial sum, and what are the chances that it comes from US taxpayers?

The really, really funny part of this is that this guy is in Thailand trying to re-invent industrial age farming for his Masters thesis--no doubt on a grant someone has given him for a substantial sum, and what are the chances that it comes from US taxpayers?

I think he was from a Canadian university so it is Canada's problem:p

/ I don't know if this guy is serious or joking? #10  
I suspect he's serious and just like anyone trying something new. In his case looks like he wasn't brought up in a rural area so the learning curve is going to be steeper. Its not surprising he was having trouble w/ the pickup though. Don't think small sq balers were designed for heavy stemmed grass.

The idea here is interesting...bale houses in Thailand. I think they'd probably rot pretty quick in the tropical climate. Ive heard of them being used in the SW but never anywhere else.