In need of a brush hog and tiller

/ In need of a brush hog and tiller #1  

jester7891

Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have a Kubota B7610 24 HP in need of a brush hog. The 5 foot vs. 4 foot question seems to roll on I am trying to find a used 4.5 foot hog. They dont seem to exist here on the Jersey Penn border (although it seems that everyone in the Midwest esp. Ohio owns a brush hog). Ive watched Craigs List and E-Bay for over 15 months now with not much to pick from traveling 5-600 miles to pick up a used attachment is not cost effective or practical. Should I just break down and buy a new one? Same question goes for rear tillers (3-4 feet). I can't pay $1500 for a Woods and $1000 for the tiller (my wife would kill me). What specific brands do you suggest (BH to clean up a messy scrub forest - will be worked; tiller to create new gardens - less work). Any other suggestions. Thanks.

/ In need of a brush hog and tiller #2  
You want 4' equipment with only 24hp.
4' rotary cutters (bush hog if you will) are cheap new. it's when they get to be 6' that they go crazy on price.
Should be around $500. Used they are going to be 300+, why bother for $200?

tillers are just spendy. But a good one will last forever.
Personally, again for a 4', I'd buy new and just move along. used they are only going to be 20/30% off, that's just not much. On a 5' or 6' that's a lot of money, but not really ona 4'

JMHO

/ In need of a brush hog and tiller #3  
I bought a NEW 4'KK Tiller .
It will work on my BX23 and BX1500 tractors.
There is a 4' used Brush Hog advertised here localy for $450.oo.

I have a Kubota B7610 24 HP in need of a brush hog. The 5 foot vs. 4 foot question seems to roll on I am trying to find a used 4.5 foot hog. They dont seem to exist here on the Jersey Penn border (although it seems that everyone in the Midwest esp. Ohio owns a brush hog). Ive watched Craigs List and E-Bay for over 15 months now with not much to pick from traveling 5-600 miles to pick up a used attachment is not cost effective or practical. Should I just break down and buy a new one? Same question goes for rear tillers (3-4 feet). I can't pay $1500 for a Woods and $1000 for the tiller (my wife would kill me). What specific brands do you suggest (BH to clean up a messy scrub forest - will be worked; tiller to create new gardens - less work). Any other suggestions. Thanks.

/ In need of a brush hog and tiller #4  
I would get the cheapest new brush hog. They get beat up real bad if you hit rocks and metal posts and such. I have a 4' hog and works very well until I get into tall alfalfa cause it's so thick. I have a 4' Howard tiller I bought used and am happy with it but could have bought a new KK for 200 dollars less and wish I would have. I have a 7510

/ In need of a brush hog and tiller #6  

I have a Kubota B-7500 and have had no problems pulling a four foot rotary mower or a four foot rototiller. One thing is for certain you will find yourself doing more tilling that one should every desire to do. Right now we have nearly two acres that I till plus I do about six other gardens in the area.

The rotary cutter I purchased from TSC and it has worked fine for me and the hills on our property. I am mainly cutting just grass and no brush to speak of.

The problem I had with the rotary cutter is I purchased it from TSC and they ordered the unit telling me it was a King Kutter and then when it showed up it was a Farm Force. I was in need of the darn thing badly so I took it. So if you are considering TSC keep in mind they do not carry the KK rotary mower, but I have been told they will order KK if you want it.

As for the tiller I own a Howard HR4 Rotavator that I was lucky enough to pick up from a local person that had purchased it and only used it once on his garden. It had sat in a heated barn for about five years. If you are buying used be sure to check it out closely. Tillers take a beating every time they are used, especially if it is on new land.

Like you I looked for a long time and went to see many tillers only to find they were pretty beat up. Buying used will save some money, but right now you might be able to find a end of the season deal on a tiller? TSC sales the KK tiller and it is a good looking unit and worth serious consideration.

Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.

Wayne