Chiseling in the neighborhood

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
My neighbor is working on his 10 acre alfalfa field with a large chisel plow and a really neat old warhorse. It's an IH 4366 articulated 4WD tractor with about 163 drawbar hp weighing abuot 19,000 lb. These IH's were manufactured between 1973-76 by Steiger for IH (IH owned 28% of Steiger at that time).

DSCF0051Small-1.jpg

DSCF0046Small-1.jpg

DSCF0052Small-2.jpg

Love that mighty diesel roar when he gets that plow working good.

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood #2  
They are nifty old horses. A friend picked one up a few years ago for around $5,000. It took some engine and tranny work, but it still made him some cheap horsepower.

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood #3  
Man - I bet it does not have a problem pulling that chisel...

D.

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood #4  
Nice pictures.

Would you know how many hours on the tractor?:D

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood #5  
looks dry there.

I'd love to run one of those, I assume you guys don't have rocks up there?

/ Chiseling in the neighborhood
looks dry there.

I'd love to run one of those, I assume you guys don't have rocks up there?

No rocks, just patches of gravely loam here and there.

Very dry. Dought conditions for the last two years. The Governator made that official earlier this year.

That particular field is irrigated. You can see one of the irrigation cisterns in the foreground of the 2nd photo.

Can't grow alfalfa here in the North Sacramento Valley without irrigation. My neighbor is on the 3rd cutting in his other 20 acres of alfalfa. He'll bale it this weekend and keep it growing with the irrigation.

The bad news is that the irrigation district has started mandatory water rationing and has raised rates, which is beginning to pinch the prune plum and olive orchard farmers in my neighborhood.

Nice pictures.

Would you know how many hours on the tractor?:D

Don't know. I'll check. My guess is that the hourmeter stopped working a long time ago. But maybe not.

Man - I bet it does not have a problem pulling that chisel...

D.

He had that plow moving along briskly with that diesel roaring.

Another neighbor has a lime-green Steiger that closely resembles the IH 4366. He has dual wheels all around and pulls a 20-ft tandem disc like it was a toy.