Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately?

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #1  

chetlenox

Silver Member
Tractor
'07 JD 4520, '44 JD A
Evidently they were built in Kansas by DewEze manufacturing in the 60s or 70s, and used in that region for a while. I have a buddy who spent his childhood riding on the back of one up in Oklahoma. A search on the web finds at least one person still using one today. I was just wondering if anybody had seen one parked in a field somewhere or gathering dust in a back barn. Seems like it would be the ultimate restoration project for somebody that hauls a lot of square bales (like me), likes to see unique farm equipment at the shows (like me), and has a lot of free time on their hands (ok, that one is not me...).

Here are some picks from a website of a woman in Tulsa. The Hay Monster looks like it's in great shape!

1316950951_837f57911b.jpg

1317001389_af4731643c.jpg

1316952607_3035504895.jpg

Anybody seen one around lately?

Chet.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #2  
That is neat. I've never seen anything like it before but it gives me some ideas about what to do with a school bus someone offered me. It's only 10 years old and he only wants the body. The super charger on the engine is all that went bad and that's easy to fix.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #3  
Yeah but it takes 7 people to run it. That's not progress. :D

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #4  
Evidently they were built in Kansas by DewEze manufacturing in the 60s or 70s, and used in that region for a while. I have a buddy who spent his childhood riding on the back of one up in Oklahoma. A search on the web finds at least one person still using one today. I was just wondering if anybody had seen one parked in a field somewhere or gathering dust in a back barn. Seems like it would be the ultimate restoration project for somebody that hauls a lot of square bales (like me), likes to see unique farm equipment at the shows (like me), and has a lot of free time on their hands (ok, that one is not me...).

Here are some picks from a website of a woman in Tulsa. The Hay Monster looks like it's in great shape!

1316950951_837f57911b.jpg

1317001389_af4731643c.jpg

1316952607_3035504895.jpg

Anybody seen one around lately?

Chet.

So, this thing is a poor man's bale wagon?
I can see how it's loaded. Now what?

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately?
Ha! Yeah, I guess it is. I'm guessing it wasn't all that cheap in it's day though. It looks like it would have better over-the-road characteristics than a standard self-propelled New Holland stack wagon of the time. My buddy claims they could put 200 bales on the thing and then would go hauling down the road at 50 mph!

As for what you do, evidently the "snout" on the front can be raised and the delivery conveyer reversed, so you can deliver the bales up to the top of the barn...

1317883864_8873d14c11.jpg

Chet.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #6  
That is neat. I've never seen anything like it before but it gives me some ideas about what to do with a school bus someone offered me. It's only 10 years old and he only wants the body. The super charger on the engine is all that went bad and that's easy to fix.

If I remember the articles about them correctly, an old school bus is what they used as a platform when they built them.
DewEze makes round bale beds nowdays. I can't say I ever saw one of the bale monsters in use, just ads for them in farm magazines. I have seen old school buses with most of the body cut off used for hay trucks. They all used a popup hay loader though.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #7  
Ha! Yeah, I guess it is. I'm guessing it wasn't all that cheap in it's day though. It looks like it would have better over-the-road characteristics than a standard self-propelled New Holland stack wagon of the time. My buddy claims they could put 200 bales on the thing and then would go hauling down the road at 50 mph!

As for what you do, evidently the "snout" on the front can be raised and the delivery conveyer reversed, so you can deliver the bales up to the top of the barn...

1317883864_8873d14c11.jpg

Chet.

Clever. But I'd still opt for a modern bale accumulator/grapple and a flatbed wagon.
Nevertheless, it would be fun to restore one of those beasties.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #8  
So, this thing is a poor man's bale wagon?
I can see how it's loaded. Now what?

I'd like to see one of those hay monsters following my neighbor's baler around.

DSCF0049Small-1.jpg

They would be sure traffic-stoppers.

/ Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately? #9  
Over here, the contractor comes with a chute on the baler outlet, which delivers the bales at height on the wagon, which is hooked behind the press. It works perfectly and it just requires some pipe bending, and a solid trailer hook sticking far enough behind the baler to give the wagon some clearance.
We stack with 2 or 3 people on the wagon, on the go. The only bales we manually pick up, is the 2 or 3 that are pressed while turning around a corner, when you cant grab it falling out of the chute.
Oh, and you need make only right hand turns, because the baler chute is left of the trailer drawbar.