Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    '07 JD 4520, '44 JD A

Default Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately?

Evidently they were built in Kansas by DewEze manufacturing in the 60s or 70s, and used in that region for a while. I have a buddy who spent his childhood riding on the back of one up in Oklahoma. A search on the web finds at least one person still using one today. I was just wondering if anybody had seen one parked in a field somewhere or gathering dust in a back barn. Seems like it would be the ultimate restoration project for somebody that hauls a lot of square bales (like me), likes to see unique farm equipment at the shows (like me), and has a lot of free time on their hands (ok, that one is not me...).

Here are some picks from a website of a woman in Tulsa. The Hay Monster looks like it's in great shape!

Anybody seen one around lately?

Chet.

Platinum Member

Default Re: Anybody seen a DewEze "Hay Monster" lately?

That is neat. I've never seen anything like it before but it gives me some ideas about what to do with a school bus someone offered me. It's only 10 years old and he only wants the body. The super charger on the engine is all that went bad and that's easy to fix.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Yeah but it takes 7 people to run it. That's not progress.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by chetlenox View Post
    Evidently they were built in Kansas by DewEze manufacturing in the 60s or 70s, and used in that region for a while. I have a buddy who spent his childhood riding on the back of one up in Oklahoma. A search on the web finds at least one person still using one today. I was just wondering if anybody had seen one parked in a field somewhere or gathering dust in a back barn. Seems like it would be the ultimate restoration project for somebody that hauls a lot of square bales (like me), likes to see unique farm equipment at the shows (like me), and has a lot of free time on their hands (ok, that one is not me...).

Here are some picks from a website of a woman in Tulsa. The Hay Monster looks like it's in great shape!

Anybody seen one around lately?

Chet.
    So, this thing is a poor man's bale wagon?
    I can see how it's loaded. Now what?

Tractor
    '07 JD 4520, '44 JD A

Ha! Yeah, I guess it is. I'm guessing it wasn't all that cheap in it's day though. It looks like it would have better over-the-road characteristics than a standard self-propelled New Holland stack wagon of the time. My buddy claims they could put 200 bales on the thing and then would go hauling down the road at 50 mph!

As for what you do, evidently the "snout" on the front can be raised and the delivery conveyer reversed, so you can deliver the bales up to the top of the barn...

Chet.

Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

Quote Originally Posted by WTA View Post
    That is neat. I've never seen anything like it before but it gives me some ideas about what to do with a school bus someone offered me. It's only 10 years old and he only wants the body. The super charger on the engine is all that went bad and that's easy to fix.
    If I remember the articles about them correctly, an old school bus is what they used as a platform when they built them.
    DewEze makes round bale beds nowdays. I can't say I ever saw one of the bale monsters in use, just ads for them in farm magazines. I have seen old school buses with most of the body cut off used for hay trucks. They all used a popup hay loader though.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    Will Rogers

The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways.
    John F. Kennedy

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by chetlenox View Post
    Ha! Yeah, I guess it is. I'm guessing it wasn't all that cheap in it's day though. It looks like it would have better over-the-road characteristics than a standard self-propelled New Holland stack wagon of the time. My buddy claims they could put 200 bales on the thing and then would go hauling down the road at 50 mph!

As for what you do, evidently the "snout" on the front can be raised and the delivery conveyer reversed, so you can deliver the bales up to the top of the barn...

Chet.

Clever. But I'd still opt for a modern bale accumulator/grapple and a flatbed wagon.
    Nevertheless, it would be fun to restore one of those beasties.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    So, this thing is a poor man's bale wagon?
    I can see how it's loaded. Now what?
    I'd like to see one of those hay monsters following my neighbor's baler around.

They would be sure traffic-stoppers.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Over here, the contractor comes with a chute on the baler outlet, which delivers the bales at height on the wagon, which is hooked behind the press. It works perfectly and it just requires some pipe bending, and a solid trailer hook sticking far enough behind the baler to give the wagon some clearance.
    We stack with 2 or 3 people on the wagon, on the go. The only bales we manually pick up, is the 2 or 3 that are pressed while turning around a corner, when you cant grab it falling out of the chute.
    Oh, and you need make only right hand turns, because the baler chute is left of the trailer drawbar.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 2.5 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Thanks for sharing those pics. First time seeing one.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast