I have a dumb question?

/ I have a dumb question? #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I know this is probably a stupid question but when you dont know you dont know. After you disk a field the disk causes the ground to be a little higher in the center. what do farmers do to level it out?:confused:

/ I have a dumb question? #2  
2 things come to mind. 1, you MIGHT have therear gangs set a tad bit too aggressively, causing the ridging. 2, It's common practice topull a drag of some sort behind a disc to get a good level "finish" to the seedbed. A spike tooth harrow, maybe a section of railroad rail, a nice round log, ect. Something HEAVY works best. Allow it to trail behind the disc by several feet, (attached with chain(s))

/ I have a dumb question? #3  
i assume you're talking X type disks:
Agressiveness was already mentioned by FarmwithJunk, but mostly you can adjust the angle of the disks individually to keep a level work.
IT all depends on ground conditions: if you have a hard toplayer, you'd set the front disks very agressive, and the rear disks less agressive because the hard toplayer is loosened by the front disks, so the rear disks will easier dig in and move more soil at the same angle.

In Europe the trend is towards individually mounted disks mounted in a line.
http://www.ftp-eversagro.nl/films_op_website/36.wmv
http://www.ftp-eversagro.nl/films_op_website/37.wmv

http://www.ftp-eversagro.nl/pdf/def/Vario-Disc/Skyros/Vast frame 2 rij algemeen.pdf

It gives a more compact harrow with its center of gravity closer to the tractor (Europe wants 3pt hitch machinery) and allows to position the disks in a more scooping position. (which cannot be realised with all disks on the same shaft) This causes better penetration and less hard pan forming.

/ I have a dumb question? #4  
After I disk, I drag a log behind my tractor to smooth it all out. Then I broadcast my sead and drag the log again over the sead. Where you really see issues when disking is where you make your turns at the end of the field. You can lift the disk every time, drive out of the disked area and then lower it again, but that really becomes a pain fairly quickly. I tend to change up my turns and make them shorter to cut down on the buildup at the edge of the field. I've also found that just disking an area that's been fairly rough before, will help smooth it out allot. If you do nothing, the rains will nock allot of the high spots down, but not all of it.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ I have a dumb question? #5  
I have an old 10 foot disc, X type, and didn't know this. I've always set the two rows at the same angles and then wasted fuel going back to smooth it out. I have to finish some discing today and will try straightening out the back one some to see what happens.

/ I have a dumb question? #6  
I mounted a 2 bar flex harrow on the back of my disk. I had an old 5 bar and cut it down to a 2 bar and added to the end of each section to make it wide enough to go behind the disk. I made mine 7 1/2 ft. wide behind a 6 1/2 ft. disk. I am planning on putting this one behind the 6 ft. field cultivator I picked up this summer and building another one 8 1/2 wide for the disk. Below are some photos of the harrow and disk. This did a real nice job of leveling up behind the disk.

Attachments

• state tourney 2008 018.jpg
    state tourney 2008 018.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 126
  • state tourney 2008 019.jpg
    state tourney 2008 019.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 129
  • state tourney 2008 020.jpg
    state tourney 2008 020.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 129
   / I have a dumb question? #7  
From what my memory is good for in the area I'm familiar with diamond harrows were drug behind a disk either when disking or as a separate pass. This would all depend on the size of the implements and the size of the tractor.:D