Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
We are having trouble getting our old 540 combine started. It has a remanufactured starter, solenoid, new 900 CCA battery, new cables and a new ignition switch. When we try to start it, it makes one click and stops. It does the same thing with the battery charger attached. The ends on the solenoid get really hot when we attempt to start it.

Any thoughts? It has a four prong starter relay that we are going to replace next (if we can find one), but my dad, who is actually working on it, is running out of ideas.

He had said something about our new battery cables being too big, but who knows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine #2  
I had one of these machines back 15 or so years ago. The only 2 things I ever had any problems was the A/C blowing the fuse and cold starts. Unfortunately I forget the details of the starting system. Did you bench check the starter,, I have had them bad out of the box. Did you check battery volts while trying to turn it over? You should be able to turn it over with good jumper cables,,, make sure everything is out of gear,, positive on the big top post on the starter negative to a starter mounting bolt, and a jumper from the big top post to the solenoid small post,, and it should turn over,, if not I'd pull the starter out and check to see if you can turn the engine over by hand to make sure it free,,test that starter with a different battery to be sure it's the starter,, if it spins on the bench,,,, well could be bad cable connections maybe on the negative side, or even a bad new battery, I'm assuming you don't have any volt or amp meters to work with.

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine
We致e taken the starter off and connected it directly to the battery charger and it has cranked but slowly. Took the starter to a dealer, but they can't test them. We were also able to turn the engine by hand when the starter was removed. We haven稚 tried jumping directly to the starter yet. We値l give it a shot this afternoon.

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine #4  
We致e taken the starter off and connected it directly to the battery charger and it has cranked but slowly. Took the starter to a dealer, but they can't test them. We were also able to turn the engine by hand when the starter was removed. We haven稚 tried jumping directly to the starter yet. We値l give it a shot this afternoon.

It would seem the starter is the problem and them I realize you tested with a battery charger. Unless you have a charger made for jump starting an engine it probably is not capable of supply sufficient amps to the starter. Test with jumper cables to a battery you know is up to power, such as the one in another tractor or your pickup. If it still turns slowly you can be sure it is the starter.

Before you pulled the starter did you try jumping from another battery or just the charger? Also the charger probably has some meter on it, what did the meter do when you tried the starter? If it showed little movement then I would guess you have a connection issue. (Doubt that with soleniod getting hot.)

As to TOO BIG of cables, the bigger the cable is the more current it can supply so bigger is better. Lot like a water pipe, bigger pipe gives more gallons per hour. So too big can not hurt you. Now way too long can hurt you.

Is there a way to by pass the solenoid to test just the starter under load? If so try it.

I really believe you will find a problem with the starter. kt

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine #5  
if you have the starter off, many of the chain auto stores will test them for free (autozone for one). you mentioned that you had tested it with a charger, how many amp charger is it?? many large starters want 100+ amps to crank properly, even out of the tractor, the starter on my dads MF Industrial 35 (perkins diesel) takes a good 500 CCA battery to even think about starting, especially when it is cold.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Starting issues on M-F 540 Combine #6  
Well if the starter is out, then just take a set of jumper cables,,, negative to the starter frame and positive to the top big post on the solenoid, jump to the small post and BAM starter should spin,, oh hang on to it or GENTLY clamp in a vise. the starter will turn and will sound like it is gaining rpm, if not more than likely it's toast,,, oh use a good battery for this not a charger. Some of this stuff is beyond the capabilities of the tools at auto stores another thought is truck garages they have the heavy stuff for the big trucks.