Buckwheat as cover crop

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I got a buddy that's into buckwheat. I'm not so sure that's it's economical to use as a cover crop. I'm in E. Wa state and I've haven't seen it being grown on any of the commercial farms in fact none of the farmers I've talk have any experience with it. Does any one out there in forum land have any experience or thoughts on buckwheat. Is there any other use for buckwheat besides being disced under for a cover crop? bjr

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #2  
The deer surely enjoy a spring planting of buckwheat.:D

For a fall planting one of the winter type of ryes or wheat may be preferable as it will grow in the spring and also give late fall grazing and spring grazing for animals. :D

If it's done for viable agriculture I'm afraid my knowledge is not adequate.:eek:

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #3  
I have used buckwheat several times, but as a soil builder not cover crop. Generally I will let it blossom and let the bees work it for several days. Then just till it in, easy to do, as it has a hollow stem and breaks up well. As for a cover crop I don't have any experience with it that way. Expensive? no, about 10 pounds for under 5 bucks.

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #4  
........Does any one out there in forum land have any experience or thoughts on buckwheat. bjr
Nothing wrong with Buckwheat.

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #5  
Here in the northeast it's a bit slow to germinate - we'd have to plant beginning of August, even mid-July, to get good growth before mid-late Sept frosts. It's very cold sensitive. Disc or till under before seeds form or it will come again in the spring. As mentioned, it breaks down quickly. We plant it every other year or so, and in new plots.
Jim

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #6  
I use it to build soil but I don't have to worry about it re-seeding itself, the deer eat the tops as soon as the seed forms.

/ Buckwheat as cover crop #7  
Aound my neck of the woods it is not a very good cover crop because you have to plant it so early because it doesnt like the cold. Like ToadHill said the deer love it.