New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics)

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #11  
Been busy the past week trying to finish another project --restoring an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill. Got around to taking a few photos of the Allis Chalmers sicklebar mower

Thanks a lot they are great photos, the mower came up really well.
The photos and your reply gave me the info I was after, thanks again.

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #12  
Well my hayrake and baler refurb's were completed earlier this year and worked fine for two hayings this season. I hope to complete the last phase of "budget baling with a low hp tractor" this winter by refurbing this old New Idea model 30A sickle bar mower.Any thoughts or feedback from other users?????[/QUOTE][/I][/I][/I][/I]

I found very similar mover abandoned in high grass on my property when I bough it. Left it there for about three years because I didn't have means to remove it. Since I bought my first tractor this year I finally brought it to the garage and thought it might be interesting restoration project. But it looks like it is beyond rescue. The main problem is the shaft that drives the crank is broken in half and the bearing right behind the crank is just a rusted blob of metal, the bar is bent, missing about half of rock guards and perhaps also frozen by rust. Is it possible to get parts? Is it worth to fix it? Otherwise I will just give it away for parts or exchange it for an old single or double bottom three point plow (if the mover is worth even that much).

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics)
... The main problem is the shaft that drives the crank is broken in half and the bearing right behind the crank is just a rusted blob of metal, the bar is bent, missing about half of rock guards and perhaps also frozen by rust. Is it possible to get parts? Is it worth to fix it? [/QUOTE]

Which shaft is broken? Is it the wood pitman arm? If so it can be made or purchased from places like TSC or Webb's sickle service for under $20. Other parts like new bars, rock guards etc would be available for purchase from them as well. Additionally, New Idea is owned by AGCO corp. so many parts would still be available from them albeit probably pricey. (AGCO would be dealers that sell Massey Ferguson, Allis Chalmers, Gleaner, etc.)

As for worth it or not - that will depend on how many parts yours would take to refurb.

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #14  
I have an old New Idea mower that looks a lot like yours but I haven't been able to verify model. It's a workhorse and standard maintenance and TLC is all it takes. I've been using it to cut 20 - 30 acres a year for 4 years now. It takes me 90 minutes to cut a couple of acres. Thick fields are almost impossible, but I'm learning.
I can see an equipment tag in one of your picture. Do you mind telling me what numbers are one it? My tag has M131699, Lot PM125, and Serial 251. Thanks.

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #15  
I have an old New Idea mower that looks a lot like yours but I haven't been able to verify model. It's a workhorse and standard maintenance and TLC is all it takes. I've been using it to cut 20 - 30 acres a year for 4 years now. It takes me 90 minutes to cut a couple of acres. Thick fields are almost impossible, but I'm learning.
I can see an equipment tag in one of your picture. Do you mind telling me what numbers are one it? My tag has M131699, Lot PM125, and Serial 251. Thanks.

Unfortunatelly I run out of motivation fixing it and got rid of it.

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #16  
my new idea 30 mower lost a bearing in the gear case i can not get it apart i think im going to have to scrap it which is a shame i really like this mower

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #17  
We've got one of these mowers also, don't know if it is exactly the same model as it is green, but we have no pitman arm, just a trace of wood near the backside of PTO. Do you have a close-up shot of PTO or any other info we could use? How do you find model number? Any help is appreciated!

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #19  
Still have mine haven't worked on it yet

/ New Idea model 30A sickle mower (pics) #20  
Do you know where to get parts for this mower.. I have the same one