MF baler 124-needle bending?

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #1  

Lone Wolf

Tractor
Kobota
Bought this baler and twice the needle has bent like it hit something. Had to buy a needle as there was only 1 with the baler to start with. Right needle figured out it was hitting slightly on the body as it come between the opening slit before the knotter. Bought a new needle then 15 bales later the Left needle bends along wiht a broken chain. The chain connectes to the counter sproket, chain upon exam had 3 chain link connector like it was pieced together (unless they come that way). So ofter 2 bent needles, broken chain and $$$ to the local MF dealership I still don't have a working baler and spring is coming soon in Florida. Any suggestion on what is bending the needles? Nobody here including the service man at the dealership knows why except for the check I keep giving him, . Hope somebody knows what is going on, would appreicate it. Thanks

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #2  
I don't know much ... in fact very little about square balers, I use a round baler ...as a kid dad had square balers, I think when this happens it is in the timing or simply put, the needles when threading are out of time with the rest of the function and are hitting when they come up, your owners manual should tell you how to correct this ... I may be way off base.

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #3  
Empty the bale chamber of ALL hay and chaff and roll it over by hand. Needles are typically broken by a plunger strike caused by being out of time. This occurs because of a chain jumping sprocket teeth, or a hay plug in which the plunger stop doesn't get set (hay and chaff and mud and rust in the needle stop mechanism (or even broken or weak/rusted needle stop springs).

Bent needles can be caused by their sriking the knotter frame or tucker fingers in a manner unfriendly to their withdrawal from the bale case. Looks like you need to get a manual and read the timing and knotter sequence instructions word by word. When it says rub, they mean rub. When it says 1/8" minumum clearance, thats exactly what they mean.

Take a look at this video I posted last year... Its in slow motion done by running the tractor at idle rpm. Pay attention to the needle lift.

YouTube - John Deere Baler Knotter Action

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #4  
Bought this baler and twice the needle has bent like it hit something. Had to buy a needle as there was only 1 with the baler to start with. Right needle figured out it was hitting slightly on the body as it come between the opening slit before the knotter. Bought a new needle then 15 bales later the Left needle bends along wiht a broken chain. The chain connectes to the counter sproket, chain upon exam had 3 chain link connector like it was pieced together (unless they come that way). So ofter 2 bent needles, broken chain and $$$ to the local MF dealership I still don't have a working baler and spring is coming soon in Florida. Any suggestion on what is bending the needles? Nobody here including the service man at the dealership knows why except for the check I keep giving him, . Hope somebody knows what is going on, would appreicate it. Thanks

I have a MF-124 baler. Looks to me like you might have a problem with the needles falling out of alignment. There's an alignment procedure in the ops manual where you rotate the swing frame assembly until the needles are adjacent to the knotter frame. You need to have the needles adjusted so they just slightly rub the knotter frame. There are adjusting screws where the needles attach to the swing frame that can be used to set the needles.

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #5  
My english isn't that good, but I would suggest that you look at the needle brake; the plate between brakes you normally find at the right side of the knotters, connected with the knotter bridge. Maybe the brake is to loose, or worn out. You might need new lamells (?) or maybe just tighten the bolts. The brake stops the needles from moving when they shouldn't.

Anyone understand what I mean? Never seen a 124, but other balers, and loose brake often leads to broken needles....

/HaySweden

/ MF baler 124-needle bending?
Thanks everybody for the information. As soon as we get some better weather-raining lately I will go look at it again and take all these replies with me to the baler. Got a manual but the company sells them as a copy from another copy so the pictures are really blurred. Even the repair guy had a hard time with it. When we where at the shop we kept throwing hay into the baler and it all seemed good. I think when the chain broke the needle probably got off and hit--I may be wrong. Thanks again...Bill

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #7  
Check ebay for an original manual

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #8  
Where did you buy your manuals? I ordered mine from my local Massey dealer and the pictures are pretty good, inexpensive too!

/ MF baler 124-needle bending? #9  
TBN rules we can not post a link to some places ... however a search on ebay revealed two manuals for this baler.

Last edited:
   / MF baler 124-needle bending?
Hi,

Got a copy of the manual from the dealership where I took the baler to. They had to order a copy also, not sure why they didn't have an orginial to work with?