IH 140 or ?

/ IH 140 or ? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I saw an IH 140 offset the other day and thought it might be perfect for cultivating my several acres of sweet corn. I would prefer if it came in a non-offset version. Does anyone know if it does? As well, maybe there are similar IH models that might be of the same era that would work? I suppose even the IH 265 Japanese tractors might work but I don't know the models or numbers.

I really like the quality of the old IH tractors and I only need 2WD to cultivate. In fact, my fertilizer units would bolt right on to an eary IH like the 140 or ?? .

I know very little about these IH tractors but was smitten by the purr of a finely made engine and quality of construction. Anyone know much about these tractors or models and what a real nice one might cost in $$ ??. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ IH 140 or ? #2  
I saw an IH 140 offset the other day and thought it might be perfect for cultivating my several acres of sweet corn. I would prefer if it came in a non-offset version. Does anyone know if it does? As well, maybe there are similar IH models that might be of the same era that would work? I suppose even the IH 265 Japanese tractors might work but I don't know the models or numbers.

I really like the quality of the old IH tractors and I only need 2WD to cultivate. In fact, my fertilizer units would bolt right on to an eary IH like the 140 or ?? .

I know very little about these IH tractors but was smitten by the purr of a finely made engine and quality of construction. Anyone know much about these tractors or models and what a real nice one might cost in $$ ??. Thanks in advance for any help.

Good Evenin sixdogs,
The IH 140 followed the Super A which followed the A. The offset tractors were mainly used for cultivating, and what made them so attractive at this job was the superior visibility that the operator had while running the machine ! I have a Super A and also a 42 A. I use them for snow plowing and pulling a trailer. I also have a sickle mower for my 42. I bought my 49 Super A for $700 and then restored it a couple of years back, it is a great tractor, and I dont think I would sell it for under $4k to $5k !

Attachments

• SuperA07A.jpg
    SuperA07A.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 511
   / IH 140 or ? #3  
I saw an IH 140 offset the other day and thought it might be perfect for cultivating my several acres of sweet corn. I would prefer if it came in a non-offset version. Does anyone know if it does?

The Super As were followed by the 100, then by the 130, then to the 140. It may be the BEST tractor ever devised for its purpose...DO NOT GET ONE OF THE DIESEL later units. The gas models (1959-1978 --I think...) are the best cultivator tractors still in existance. The engines are easy to maintain, and they run for thousands of hours with just minimal maintenance..(oil changes, etc)...I've got a 1974 140 "key start" (starts like a car rather than with a separate starter button). Great tractor. What year is the 140 you are looking at? If you don't know list the serial # and we will tell you....Good luck. BobG in VA

/ IH 140 or ?
Bob and Scott----

Good advice there--I'll steer clear of the diesels. Very helpful. I'm not looking at a specific one; I only know the one I saw was very sweet and I knew they made a lot of them. I have the books with the serial numbers so can look it up. I'll presume the later the year of manufacture the better? I just plan to search auctions and such until I find a near-perfect one that I like. They don't seem to bring very much money. How nice they are is a hidden secret.
I once had an IH 265 Hi-Clearance (Japanese) and really liked it.

Scott--I like your Super A and actually thought of one of those first. I just happened to hear and see the 140 up close first.
What do you think a nice 140 would be worth and did they make any that weren't offsets?

/ IH 140 or ? #5  
The Super As were followed by the 100, then by the 130, then to the 140. It may be the BEST tractor ever devised for its purpose.... BobG in VA

Good Mornin Bob,
I didnt forget about those units, but I did kind of fast foward to the Super A ! :eek: They were IMHO some of the best tractors evewr made for that job ! ;)

Bob and Scott----

Good advice there--I'll steer clear of the diesels. Very helpful. I'm not looking at a specific one; I only know the one I saw was very sweet and I knew they made a lot of them. I have the books with the serial numbers so can look it up. I'll presume the later the year of manufacture the better? I just plan to search auctions and such until I find a near-perfect one that I like. They don't seem to bring very much money. How nice they are is a hidden secret.
I once had an IH 265 Hi-Clearance (Japanese) and really liked it.

Scott--I like your Super A and actually thought of one of those first. I just happened to hear and see the 140 up close first.
What do you think a nice 140 would be worth and did they make any that weren't offsets?

Good Mornin Sixdogs,
What you will get with a later unit over the Super A is a 123 cu in engine over what I have which is the 113 cu in ! A bit more HP, you will also get a water pump compared to my thermosysyem ! There were a few more improvements but overall the tractors didnt change much ! I would think an IH140 in good shape would go from $3500 to $5000.

Good luck ! :)

/ IH 140 or ? #6  
Dad has 2 for sale one we just restored and one her bought restored. The 70 model has a 3 point hitch and a set of cultivators the 60 model has a one point hitch and a one point disc and 2 bottom breaking plow and a homemade middle buster. The 70 model has a bit darker pain than it was supposed to but its all stock except for that. The owner had it restored for his truck patch.

/ IH 140 or ? #7  
Taylortractornut, I am looking for a 140 and am in E Texas. I would be interested in talking to you about your 140. My e-mail is halbean@aol.com
Thanks
Hal

/ IH 140 or ? #8  
Heres a pic of one of dads 140's this is a 70 model.

Attachments

• 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 2,398
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 758
   / IH 140 or ? #9  
Good Mornin Taylortractornut,
That IH 140 is a beauty, thanks for posting ! :)

/ IH 140 or ?