Rotary rake vs Tedder?

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
If you have a rotary rake - does it make any sense to own a tedder, too?

Thanks.

AKfish

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #2  
Where you live I would say so. Around here the hay must be tedded in order to dry for small squares. The rotary rake will allow you to go faster, and will let you rake a little sooner and continue drying as the rows are kinda stacked and not wound up. Plus it's nice on the baler.

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #3  
Kind of like asking if you need a backhoe when you own a loader. They are two different machines built for different purposes. In my part of the world, there are very few serious dry hay producers without a tedder regardless of the type of rake they own.

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder?
They are two different machines built for different purposes. In my part of the world, there are very few serious dry hay producers without a tedder regardless of the type of rake they own.

Yep... that goes without saying.

Question put another way - can you use a rotary rake to more/less duplicate the drying/fluffing capabilities of a tedder?

I'd guess that if most hay producers continue to use tedders (especially high moisture areas like NY) then the answer would be -- no. It still makes good sense to buy a tedder.

AKfish

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #5  
Generally speaking, a windrow made with a rotary rake will dry more/faster after raking than one built with a wheel or roll bar rake. Whether that will save the investment in a tedder and its use depends on weather, crop, level of conditioning, and the end product desired. I've never been to Alaska, but my guess is if you want to make hay that will store without molding, a tedder will be very helpful.

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #6  
Question put another way - can you use a rotary rake to more/less duplicate the drying/fluffing capabilities of a tedder?

AKfish

The tedder spreads hay out to take advantage of sunshine, the rotay rake makes a fluffy windrow that gets the hay off of the ground and takes advantage of the breeze. Here in Maine I feel like I need both, and depending on ground moisture and sun and wind conditions I'll choose between tedding another time or raking earlier.

Kuhn makes a combo rotary rake/tedder. I don't know anything about how it performs.
Greg

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder?
Appreciate the info.

Saving $1,500-2,000 on a good tedder might not be a sensible way to save a few bucks - if the hay don't turn out..

AKfish

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder? #8  
Appreciate the info.

Saving $1,500-2,000 on a good tedder might not be a sensible way to save a few bucks - if the hay don't turn out..

AKfish

The last couple of summers we have had to ted the hay as many an 3 times to keep it fluffed up off the damp ground to get it dry, without a good tedder we would have put up about 10,000 bales of crap hay per year.
We vse a Vicon 510 tedder.

Tom in Vermont

Last edited:
   / Rotary rake vs Tedder? #9  
Dad has a tedder that hasnt been out of the barn for 4-5 years, the reason, his old massey ferguson rake broke and he couldnt get parts. A new rotary rake was cheaper than than a good rollbar rake, so he ended up with a rotary rake ( I beleive it is a Kuhn, but not sure). The rotary will almost stand the grass back up in a windrow, and moves the hay very gently. Instead of tedding he rakes once, then, if he needs to, he rakes again to 'roll' the hay. But usually, one trip across the field is all it takes. As someone else said, if there is ANY wind, it goes right through the very fluffy windrows and does a fine job of drying the hay down. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I havent even seen the tedder, may have sold, not sure.

If it was me, get a good rotary and learn to use it correctly, where you drive in the windrow will REALLY affect how the hay is fluffed and if the ground contact hay is now on top. Why maintain two peices of equipment if you can do the job with one.

DuaneW.

/ Rotary rake vs Tedder?
If it was me, get a good rotary and learn to use it correctly, where you drive in the windrow will REALLY affect how the hay is fluffed and if the ground contact hay is now on top. Why maintain two peices of equipment if you can do the job with one.

DuaneW.

Thanks for your feedback. That's why I asked the question... Why 2 pieces of equipment if 1 will do the job?

Nonetheless - it sounds like hay growers in the wetter parts of the country still rely on tedders - even if they've got rotary rakes.

AKfish