Reliability of Tractors

/ Reliability of Tractors
Jim,

This is the first tractor I have ever had with an all synchronized gearbox and I really appreciate it. My last tractor would take 20 seconds to slow the gears down from pto speed to shift. Unfortunately it has many repairs on it, yet showed very few hours on the hour meter.

I just liked the simplicity of the design on the Kubota, yet all of the sophistication in the engine and transmission was there. I had managed with lower HP and fixed that this time too. Guess owning a tractor for a few years helps you to decide what is important for the work you need to do. Most of us put up with what we have, but sure is nice to have all of the problems solved at once.

/ Reliability of Tractors #12  
Reliability plays a part in my decision to buy but as Roy stated, usually it takes time to figure out if something is reliable. Reliability plays a bigger part in how long I keep it. If it don't start and perform the way I think it should, it won't last long around here. I would rather have splinters under my fingernails as put up with a piece of machinery that won't start half the time or breaks down too frequently.

/ Reliability of Tractors #13  
Here's a related topic that will irk some I am sure - parts availability. As I have said before, and recieved flack for it, one of the reason I bought Kubota is because only Kubota is made by the company whose name is on the hood. Lets say in 10 years Mr. JD amd Mr. Yanmar decide they hate each other, and Mr. Yanmar decides to stop selling to Mr. JD, and to market directly. When my $12,000 10 year old tractor blows a $5 seal, and my dealer can not get one becuase it was really a Yanmar seal not a JD seal, I am out of luck. Same with New Holland, Cub Cadet, etc - all of them are purchased elsewhere, and have the appropriate paint and decals applied. MAYBE this will never cause a problem, but for me it was a maybe I thought best to avoid.

/ Reliability of Tractors #14  
PaulB,

It's a good thing for Kubota too! Have you read all of the Kubota problems on the Kubota Owning board lately? Sure seems like a lot to this BLUE owner!

Obviously, I don't know for sure...but I'm guessing that Kubota DOES outsource some things????

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Reliability of Tractors #15  
I agree with you, PaulB. I have a 5 year old Miller welder that was made in Mexico and has a switch that burned up; the switches were made in England and are no longer available. I eventually found a switch that works; not right, but I can use the welder. It sure is preferable (though perhaps rare now-a-days) for it to have all come from one place.

Bird

/ Reliability of Tractors #16  
So what happens if MR Kubota decides to sell his tractor business in the next few years? The only certainites in life, as I understand it, is death and taxes./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Reliability of Tractors #17  
If that happens, all of a sudden I own a classic, sell it for a lot of moola, and retire early. either way, pays to buy Kubota!

/ Reliability of Tractors #18  
If you have a JD, you already have a classic!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif