Need advice on hay planting?

/ Need advice on hay planting? #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
Hi guys I need a little advice on how to plant some hay. I live in northwest ohio soil is clay and it drains fairly good.
I have planted a 3 acre plot with a mixture from tsc was suppose to be a pasture hay mix, I just broadcasted this stuff and I really dont care for the results It seems majority of plants that came up where clover and alfalfa but the mix was suppose to have alot of orchard and fesue grasses but I have not seen that really come up.

I have another couple acres to plant but want only grass hay not so much course stemmy stuff AND I want to drill in some orchard or timithy grass into my exsisting field. Not sure if that will work or not? Or maybe someone has a better mix of grasses to blend in. Any suggestions will help!

Another question is can I spray these small plots with a herbicide or do they make round up seed for hay? And is their a starter type fertilizer that needs to be added with the seed?:confused:

/ Need advice on hay planting? #2  
What equipment do you have available and what are you planning to do with the hay? Planting grass/hay seed is not a big deal. Regarding herbicide..are you trying to kill weeds or everything? To my knowledge, there are no "roundup seeds". A soil analysis will tell you your fertilizer requirements.

Typically, you would kill the vegation with Roundup or generic equivalent. Alternatively, you can just kill the broad leaf weeds with something like 2,4,D. Prepare the ground by discing/tilling. Spread the seed and any fertilizer you need, and either roll it or drag it to give a good seed soil contact. Then either hope for rain or water it. Your County Extention Agent can recommend a seed mix depending on what you are trying to accomplish with the hay.

/ Need advice on hay planting? #3  
What area of Ohio- if I can ask? West central here. A Brillion seeder may help your stand with broadcasting the fertilizer with an oats cover crop in the spring to help things along + what the previous poster stated.

/ Need advice on hay planting?
I live near toledo, northwest ohio. I planned on discing the feild and renting a drill or overseeder and drill in seed.

Hey ZZ, my wife went to an auction last thurs. for some livestock gates and bought me a present! She bought a 14t in decent shape except for the slip clutch of the drive shaft its slipping. But at the price she paid even for a parts machine its worth it!

/ Need advice on hay planting? #5  
Your ground probably isn't warm enough to germinate the grass seed yet. It barely is here in Lubbock, Texas right now. Give the grass a little time. I planted probably that same mix a couple years ago from TSC in my pecan orchard here and it mostly came up ok. The horses sure love it now.