transport position on older haybines

/ transport position on older haybines #1  

audiski86

Tractor
1997 New Holland 2120
Just wondering about the transport position on haybines such as New Holland 472 or John Deere 1207. How far offset are the mower wheels from the tractor wheels? I don't think it gets to be directly behind tractor but I ask because if purchasing one I want to know if it can be attached to tractor on a gooseneck trailer for transport. Trailer is 102" wide but I think the offset and the overall width of mower would be too much. However, it would be easier than loading/unloading it sideways with a loader. Thanks

/ transport position on older haybines #2  
They are wide suckers for transporting. My JD 720 (9ft cut) was 14.5 feet wide in transport mode with most of that being to the right of the tractor. Your best bet is to take the whole drawbar/ trailing arm off and load it sideways on the trailer, that will put it at slightly over 8ft that way.

/ transport position on older haybines #3  
Another reason to put it on sideways is that 75% of the weight is on the left (driveline) side. It may overload your trailer otherwise.

/ transport position on older haybines #4  
If your tractor has a swinging drawbar, you can use that adjustment to your advantage as well, just disconnect the PTO shaft and tie it off out of the way. Both models you list are 7 foot cut, I can't imagine why either wouldn't load directly on a 102" trailer while hooked to a tractor.

Loading sideways requires removing the tongue in most instances, not real fun if it can be avioded.

/ transport position on older haybines #5  
I can't find a good picture of one, but it looks like the drawbar is only going to swing a foot at most into the cutter bar. So best case you are going to be 6'-6" to 7' from your drawbar on the tractor out. If it is 7' thats 84" only leaving 18" for the tractor the other way out to be under your 102". Depending on the wheel on the mower that will be tight, plus depending on local regs and how you have the trailer registered you get into overwidth a little wider than 102".
Around here I never see a end pull mower conditioner of any size delivered on a trailer, they always pull behind a truck, only the large center pivot disk mower do I see on a trailer.

/ transport position on older haybines #6  
Not sure of width but if loaded width is over 102'' oversize permits state & possibly local are required for each transport movement. There are travel restrictions and expense involved with the permit. I try not to trailer any equipment over 102''. Behind tractor law enforcement normally says nothing. On trailer big citation.

/ transport position on older haybines #7  
Now that I think about it, over width items must be broken down to the smallest possible size. If the mower and tractor combine to make you over width, I think you have to break them apart.

Really why would you want to leave them connected? I would think you could secure the 2 items down just as good if not better if they were not connected.

/ transport position on older haybines #8  
How far are you going? I travel 25 miles to one field. I normally tow with my tractor , but I have used my pickup as well. My NH 489 is a 9ft cut, but is over 12ft wide. It will not completely slide over behind the tractor and most drawbars won't move enough to make much difference. Watch the mailboxes!;) I have come close a time or two. Once I was blocking the road when the tractor died. It was a John Deere diesel with a pony motor, I was able to get it off the road using the pony motor, it was all it wanted to handle.
Hydro adjust tongues can line up behind you. Next one I think I will consider one of those.:D

Happy Haying!:)

/ transport position on older haybines #9  
seen a few 7' hauled right behind the tractor on dual tandem trailers----however like Rick said most of the weight is on the tongue side----like a square baler----seen several balers and moco's rigged up with a dummy wheel attach to the inside of the right hand axle and this allowed the right tire to hang off the side and the operator to just drive up on the trailer with the baler or the moco-----the ones i saw used a small tail wheel off an old pull type bush hog and bolted to the rectangle axle and it could be taken on and off pretty quick as well as be adjusted for the width of the trailer-----

/ transport position on older haybines #10  
I have a JD 1217 (same pretty much as the 1207). I usually just pull it behind a pickup anywhere I travel over the highway. This wouldn't be the best over a long distance, though, I realize.

But, I wanted to mention that the wheels on these JD 7 foot mower/conditioners are built well to the inside of the machine anyway. In other words, they are set in at least a foot from either edge of the mower, and seems to me they would easily load onto a trailer even if the mower itself hung over the side a bit. I haven't put a tape measure on it, but I'm just stating this from memory, and not sure if it really adds anything to the question.