Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK35

Default MFWD?

What does MFWD mean? I see it a lot in ads for large farm tractors. I figure the "FWD" means four wheel drive but I sure can't figure the "M". [img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: MFWD?

Mechanical Front Wheel Drive

jtn

Tractor
    New Holland TC45D

The "M" was to distinguish mechanical front wheel drive (transmission driven) from hydrostatic front wheel drive (HFWD) which was hydrostatically driven.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK35

Thanks fellas -

I don't think I've seen HFWD. Is this newer than the MFWD? Is HFWD typically preferred for most field operations?

Veteran Member

At one time deere had Hydraulic Front Wheel Assist as they called it,but not for long. Once they saw that everyone else had a better mechanical system they finally switched over. The hydraulic systems are only for limited use to help you through a sticky spot,not continuous use like true mfd systems.Hydraulic systems do not lend themselves to loader work either very well!! I guess that is why we do not see them on tractors today. Some owners of 20,30,and 40 series Deeres with HFWA say all, they do is smoke and scream when they engage the front axle,and go no where.

the fortake of a HFWD is that it is cheaper, cause there are only Oilpumps in the frontwheels, that block them. But when they are overloaded, perhaps in the mud, they switch off, and You stick in the s...!
    Bernhard Derichsweiler, Germany

jtn

Tractor
    New Holland TC45D

I can't speak for the tractors, but apparently the HFWD on deere graders is a real nice system. I guess they made some improvements since it was on the tractors.

JT

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

There are many full time hydraulic only drives on heavy equipment. I'm not just talking about straight automatic trannies either.

Our big milling machines, and some rollers have indepentent hyd. motors on each wheel.

They work until they fail is about All I'll say about them... they have their pro's and cons... less drive train, but more maintenance. etc,

Soundguy