Best Fertilizer spreader???

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #1  

cliff50

I have a John Deere 990 tractor and statrting to look for a fertlizer spreader to spread fertlizer, sand, and pasture seed. Who makes the best spreaders. I have gone online to look at Cosmo, Frontier and Land Pride. They all look the same to me. Can you give me your thoughts if there is one better than the other or should I be looking at other brands?

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #2  
Try a Heard spreader or a Vicon. With the latter get ready to drop some bucks however, they are supposed to last a lifetime.

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #3  
I have a Vicon that I've been very happy with, no problems at all. I've spread fertilizer, pelletized and powdered lime, and it's never given me trouble. Kuhn are also a good brand.

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #4  
I have a Herd Seeder/Spreader and love it. Made in the USA. When you call ask for Dave Herd. He has a wealth of valuable information when it comes to spreaders and seeders.:D

Herd Seeder Co. Inc.

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #5  
Herd makes a good one. Vicon makes a BETTER one (as far as a dedicated Fertilizer spreader) (I've got one of each. Herd is used primarily as a seeder, where the Vicon spreader is used more as a fertilizer spreader)

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #6  
Vicon makes the best fertilizer spreader available. They will last a lifetime for most people. Here they will last 30-40 years covering hundreds of acres of vineyard every year and even then what needs to be repaired is the opener disc (the stainless steel disc at the base of the cone), that wears from all the material passing through it after all those years/acres. Most farmers just replace the entire unit though as they got their moneys worth by that point.

You can find used Vicon spreaders for a decent price. I have a cart mounted model that holds 1 ton in great shape and cost me $750 used. I also have a 500 pound 3pt model I paid $125 for and it is in great shape as well. The cart unit is 15 years old and the 3pt unit is 30 years old and wasn't used a lot over the years as the farmer passed away 20 years ago.

If you plan to use it a lot go with the Vicon and you will never be disappointed. If you only need a spreader for a few acres once a year buy the Herd and save the money.

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #7  
Just remember to wash it after using fertilizer. It will rust them out!

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #8  
Just remember to wash it after using fertilizer. It will rust them out!

That is good advice but also I like to oil them after they dry. The Vicon has a poly hopper with a stainless steel meter plate on the bottom so there isn't much to rust on them.

/ Best Fertilizer spreader??? #9  
Only Vicons i've had were the oscilating spout type and they had a terrible reputation for "striping" in crops....Twin disc is always the best ..Amazone ,Kuhn,KRM are better...!

Nothing wrong with a steel hopper ...Just pressure wash it after use and throw a jug of diesel through it when it's dry

Another thing with the vicons i seem to remember is the hoppers used to become brittle with age and split....

Last edited:
   / Best Fertilizer spreader??? #10  
Only Vicons i've had were the oscilating spout type and they had a terrible reputation for "striping" in crops....Twin disc is always the best ..Amazone ,Kuhn,KRM are better...!

Nothing wrong with a steel hopper ...Just pressure wash it after use and throw a jug of diesel through it when it's dry

Another thing with the vicons i seem to remember is the hoppers used to become brittle with age and split....

Funny......I'm a golfer (among other things) Most golf courses gravitate towards Vicon because of their sterling reputation of NOT "striping". Never had that problem in 20+ years of using one on my farm either. As far as hopper splitting, after 20 years, no splits. I'll post back IF it ever does.