Options for Round Balers

/ Options for Round Balers #1  

jdjdjd

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540 Grand Cab
I am looking for a new round baler for personal use (not commercial). The MF/Heston 1745 looks like what I need. I have questions about some of the options like Gathering Wheels, Auto-tie, Bale ramp, and counter. Are these items necessary or just nice to have?

I will be baling about 100 acres of coastal bermuda once or twice a year.

Also, any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
JDJDJD

/ Options for Round Balers #2  
I almost bought a 1745, what stopped me was the economic situation we are in. Gathering wheels are good to keep from loosing the edge of the windrows and help fill the bale chamber to the edge. Bale ramps will roll the bale away from the baler, so you don't have to back up before you dump a roll. A starting roll scraper is great in bermuda grass. Auto tie and bale counter are just nice to have. A Fire Extinguisher should be required equipment on a round baler. I feel a MF 1745 and a Vermeer 5410 balers give the most value for the dollar in round balers for personal use. I can't see much difference in them and would buy either, dealer service would seal the deal. I have baled tift85 bermuda and bahia grass with both ,they done a good job. scrapironford

/ Options for Round Balers
Thanks for the info. It helps to have advise from someone who bales.

I have been going back and forth between new and used. The used units I have looked at have either been worn out rust buckets or way out of my price range.

Issue resolved. It has been a long Monday. The Massey Ferguson dealer missed out on a sale and I ended up with a Vemeer Rebel.
Thanks scrapironford for your advise.

/ Options for Round Balers #5  
You are welcome Is it a 5400 or5410 Rebel ? The 5400 is an older model ,the 5410 can have net wrap added to the unit if you want it. It also has adjustable hyd density,easy to use if you install a pressure guage on it,will make soft core bales to standard hard core bales. Which monitor,manual or automatic wrap? I think you will be happy with this baler, with good care& maiteneance it will last a long,long time. scrapironford

/ Options for Round Balers #6  
Can I ask why the Vermeer over the Hesston? Was it options or dealer?

Scrapironford, I found a good used 605XL with bale-kicker, auto-tie, and gathering wheels. It does have a density adjustment. It appears to have been well maintained.

Mfred, I was originally going to purchase a MF 1745 from my local dealer. I called Saturday morning and they said they had one in stock for $13,600. When I got there and looked it over the salesman said the price was $17,495. I do not take well to that. He lost that sale and a sale for a disc-cutter as well.

/ Options for Round Balers #8  
Can't blame you there. I'd buy a 1745 for that price as well. They weren't even close with that guess.

Oops!, post correction, I looked at the Rebel but purchased a 605XL.

/ Options for Round Balers #10  
I have not used a 605XL or even seen one. I can't give you any help or advice on that one. Hope it gives you good service and does a good job. What size tractor will you be using to pull that big 5x6 baler in what kind of hay? scrapironford