Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage??

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I am going to look at a local NH 7610S 4wd that has been modified in the following manner. It has:

1) heavy steel bumper that extends beyond the width of both front tires
2) heavy steel skid plate (total underbelly of tractor)
3) Total steel canopy and expanded metal sides
4) Kevlar 18 ply rear tires and 12 ply standard front tires.

Supposedly that aftermarket stuff is very professionally done and all "bolted" on . It is also painted to match. Given that Im looking for a tractor to help maintain wildlife habitat, including roads in timber and right of ways, this would be pretty good for my intended use.

The tractor has less than 1000 hours and was used by the owner of a company that mowed right of ways. He used this particular tractor exclusively and told me it "looks new". My question is,

How much would these "add ons" add or subtract from the price of the tractor, and in your opinion, what should a rig like this cost?

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #2  
Re: Steel underpan, front bumber, Steel cage??

I would guess that it has been worked hard and put away wet. From what I hear, clearing right of ways is brutal on a tractor and its condition will probably reflect that. Although if it was "the owners tractor" it may have been taken care of better.

Edit: you may want to PM HODAK or WALLACE as Wallace setup a pair of DK65s for Hodak to do ROW clearing last year, looks like they did what you are talking about to the tractors (see this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/127660-dk65-ready-right-way-clearing.html )

Aaron Z

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #3  
There's a reason for all that armor. It was worked HARD. Why is he selling? With just 1000hrs maybe it wasn't up to the task after all? I'd be wary of "looks new". I'd be happier with a "runs like new".

But check it out if it seems right for you purpose; just be cautious.

I have no idea what the armor would add/subtract to the value.

Post some pics when you see it and let us know what you decide.

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #4  
The upgrades you've listed are expensive (duh..). The 3/4 length belly pan on my JD110TLB was $750. The dealer offered to have the tractor fitted with a full-armored cage, including the backhoe (manufacturer in Alabama) for another $2K or so.

I have no doubt that the changes made to the larger framed NH are likely 2X more $$$.

My experiences clearing land have me concluding that the "hardest" thing on the tractor is the TREES... The limbs, the roots, the heavy trunks and the stumps. They bend, break and stab or rip or poke the tractor (or any equipment for that matter) anywhere it's vunerable.

And heat. 'Cause the work is slow, slow and DIRTY!

If the machine has really been "rode hard and put up wet" you can most often see the results. The pins on the loader will be really sloppy. The fenders, etc. will look like too many weekends at the Destruction Derby.

Check the maintainance records and the VIN number. A thousand hours isn't alot.

But if the owner didn't "double-down" on filters and grease and cleaning the radiator, etc. the tractor could already be "tired". If in doubt - do an oil analysis and have a good mechanic run some diagnostic tests; compression, injector pressures, hdyl pump test. Before you plunk down your cash.

If the seller is confident that the tractor will pass with flying colors - he might split the mechanic cost - or deduct it from the sale price.

Best of luck.

AKfish

Last edited:
   / Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #5  
The tractor has less than 1000 hours and was used by the owner of a company that mowed right of ways.

I take it this tractor has been used for mowing rather than clearing bush right of ways?:D

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #6  
I thought you had just bought a tractor after a long search. Why another?

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #7  
I'm with the others, all that stuff was added because the machine was worked hhhaaarrrddd.

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I thought you had just bought a tractor after a long search. Why another?"

Yes thats true, I did recently purchase a cab 7710 4wd. I already owned a 5303 JD 2wd with a 510 loader and just thought I would sell / trade it for a 4wd 7610. It has already become apparent to me that sometimes a cab and doors (when your on and off alot and in tight areas) area really in the way. I want the cab tractor for mowing and discing in the large open pastures but this open cab would really be nice for the other stuff, plus with 2 large tractors my hunting partner and I could half the food plot and maintenance time. Thanks for the advice on the tractor. As someone mentioned, the tractor was used to mow right of ways. Both the dealer that originally sold the tractor and the present owner commented on how well it had been taken care of. Im going to try to look at it this evening or tomorrow. Ill try to take some pics and post here. All depends on the tractors condition and how he is willing to trade for my JD. thanks again.

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #9  
That tractor wasn't used full time as the hours are low for the age. The armour may be recent. Tractors used in the woods here are prepped like that and conditions range from perfect to beat to h@ll.

The armouring costs about 3-8000$ depending how far you take it.

/ Steel underpan, front bumper, Steel cage?? #10  
There was some confusion on my part with the OP's thread - "right-of-ways" - specifically.

There are a number of different types of machines used up here (Alaska) to mow right-of-ways.

The machines range from non-armoured Ag tractors with side-mount mowers to Skid-steers with front mount shredders and Hydra-Axes.

That said; any machine with full-body armour is slated for major battles with trees. This isn't the machine that the DOT or Highway Dept. cruises along the roadsides with to mow grass...

It's a tree killer! And the size of tree is determined by what kinds of attachments are fitted to the tractor.

Of course; I also make a distinction between "right-of-ways" as being associated with section lines and power line/gas line easements versus roadsides and ditches. The types of equipment and attachments used are considerably different between those applications - IMO.

AKfish