Hay Lease

/ Hay Lease #1  

abb

Tractor
JD 6403
I own about 400 acres and we have always had cattle but now we are wanting to lease the land to have someone else hay it. We don't have time to take care of it and dont want cattle. Im curious as to what the ongoing pricing maybe? Are they per acre? per bale? how much? Any help would be good.
Thanks
Kyle

/ Hay Lease #2  
I am located in Maryland, and I rent my ground on a little different basis. I pay my landlords a percentage of what I can sell the hay for. I provide all the equipment, labor, and materials to grow, harvest, and market the hay, and then pay the land lord 15% of what I sell it for. Seems to work out relatively fairly, figure 45 cents on every 3.00 bale. From a producer's point of view, this lets the landlord partake in good markets, but isolates me from high fixed rents in bad markets. Also we never argue over how many acres. I simply pay on how many I sell, and the higher the price the more the landlord gets. This idea does not force the producer to sell at the cheapest time of year just to pay the rent, but to get the higher rents the landlord has to wait for his money until the hay sells at the higher price times of the year. If a landlord wants a fixed rent either per acre or per bale I have to give much lower rates than if the landlord is willing to share some risk for the higher rents. In good years the percentage has gone as high as 120 an acre, a number I would never pay on a fixed basis. The highest I will pay around here for fixed rent is 60 an acre. Just one farmer's way of doing this that works well for me and my landlords.

/ Hay Lease #3  
Before we made our own hay we did it several ways, Renting out the land per acre, Being payed per lb for the hay and the one that seemed to suit everyone best was a guy made the hay but left us 50% of the bales on the field and we stacked and sold our half our selves. particularly liked the last method as we got the hay baled in more valuable medium squares that would otherwise mean having a $45'000 baler and without the hastle of chasing farmers continously for money.
We do it ourselves now as often guys could'nt manage the acreage and hay sometimes got spoiled.

/ Hay Lease #4  
Typical down here is "half" and most, if not all, are variations of what Barry and Kyle wrote.

/ Hay Lease #5  
the land we lease for hay, we pay the owner $.30 a bale.

/ Hay Lease #6  
Three of the farms I lease, I pay $20 per acre per year. The other farm I cut on shares... I get 3/4 of the hay to cut(1/4), rake(1/4), and roll(1/4) it.

/ Hay Lease #7  
Wow you guys rent hay ground cheap.

We rented out most of our third crop only last year for $90/acre.

A full year would be in the $300 range.

/ Hay Lease #8  
Highest we could ever get for anual rent was $50 for new alfalfa/timothy leys, Another reason to hay it ourselves.
We were going to break 200 acres back to grain but the way grain prices are i think we'l keep doing a bit of hay as "Something else" for a while.

/ Hay Lease #9  
We paid 25 an acre for just 2nd crop alfalfa.

/ Hay Lease #10  
Wow you guys rent hay ground cheap.

We rented out most of our third crop only last year for $90/acre.

A full year would be in the $300 range.

So, 3 cutting's is the norm...? This is alfalfa ground? What is the term length of the rental agreement - 1yr, 3yr, 5yr?

AKfish