Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #11  
Sounds B.S. to me. Both tires are made of rubber, so both are waterproof. ;)
There is no technical reason against filling radials either, as it is common practice.

Just curious about this. I was at a tire place last week and had a tire loaded and the guy there told me that the tires were made of nylon and not rubber? Anyone heard of this could it be true?

Wayne

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #12  
Just curious about this. I was at a tire place last week and had a tire loaded and the guy there told me that the tires were made of nylon and not rubber? Anyone heard of this could it be true?

Wayne

I think he was refering to the cords or reinforcement in the tire, not the body. I know they use steel, Nylon and even Kevlar for this, but the outside should be a rubber compound.

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #13  
I think he was refering to the cords or reinforcement in the tire, not the body. I know they use steel, Nylon and even Kevlar for this, but the outside should be a rubber compound.

I was there getting a tire fixed and loaded. We were talking about how the tire went flat and I was telling him that I was in some mud and all of a sudden the wheel was spinning on the tire. We were talking and I mentioned to him that in the winter the tire has flat spots and wondered if it was the fluid. He went on to explain that with tractor tires they are constructed with nylon and not rubber, I was caught off guard and heard him right, just didn't know what to say. Guess I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the tire out of my truck, seeing it took four guys to put it in.

Next time I am out there I will ask him again.

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #14  
Yes please do ask what he meant by Nylon not rubber.

Your flat spots are probably due to the low temps in the winter the tires get stiff and keep the shape from being parked. It happen's on large machines even in the summer until the tire warms up a bit. The fluid shouldn't have an effect other than making it harder for the tire to "warm up" to become more flexable.

All I have ever heard of nylon being used is as a reinforcement that works well with ag tires instead of the steel belting.

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #15  
Yes please do ask what he meant by Nylon not rubber.

Your flat spots are probably due to the low temps in the winter the tires get stiff and keep the shape from being parked. It happen's on large machines even in the summer until the tire warms up a bit. The fluid shouldn't have an effect other than making it harder for the tire to "warm up" to become more flexable.

All I have ever heard of nylon being used is as a reinforcement that works well with ag tires instead of the steel belting.

Yep that is what happens during the cold weather. Not fun to be out driving in temps below zero and then to have the tires banging around as I am moving.

I hade a tire go flat / lose air and I didn't notice it and was moving logs and all of a sudden the tire turned on the wheel. That was the reason I was at the tire place. Pressure tested and then re-loaded the tire. Seems to be working fine, but not the easiest thing to handle alone.

I think you are right about the nylon being used to reinforce the tires. These are ag type tires.

Regards,

Wayne

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #16  
Bias ply tires all develop flat spots when parked. Cars used to to this too. Its very irritating in cold weather as it takes a long time to go away.

/ Fluid in Radial Tractor Tires #17  
Bias ply tires all develop flat spots when parked. Cars used to to this too. Its very irritating in cold weather as it takes a long time to go away.
Yes, this is true. Probably what the tire guy meant is that tires with nylon cord are the worst when it comes to flattening. Other materials like polyester are not nearly as bad. Before radials became common, Goodyear had passenger tires called NF Nylon. The NF meant they were supposed to be non-flattening.
Of course most bias tractor tires are still nylon corded, it's strong and economical.