Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I was working cows for a gentleman today and he told me he was selling out. I asked him what he was going to sell and he said everything. He has a 2 bottom plow that he priced for $155. Its a Ferguson model 14 (A or B) It is in good condition but has been setting out for years. I feel the plows would need to be replaced because one is broken. Can you still get plows for these? What would be the cost to replace both? Is this a good model? thanks

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #2  
Pass on that plow. You should be able to find a good 2 bottom plow for under $200, (and it shouldn't need fixing).

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #3  
I'm not sure you will find a "good" two bottom plow in East Texas for under $200. If you do you better plan on being patient. Good ones around here run higher than that. I don't know about parts, sorry.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #4  
In my area, a 2 bottom usually brings more than a 3 bottom. A good 2 bottom will bring $200. A plow that needs fixing for $155 is a little suspect. Depends what needs fixing and if you can find the parts.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #5  
Two bottom 3PT JD brought 500 at a sale in November in Central PA. It needed shears and shins, but the mold boards were fine, and it was trips not resets.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #6  
I would take a trailer load of 2 bottom plows for $200. You can't touch one around here for less than $400 if it's in ok shape. Nice, heavy ones fetch $500 plus.
When you say the plow needs to be replaced, do you mean the share? Those are pretty inexpensive, around $25.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale
Im assuming its the share. The frame itself is straight. The flat metal pieces that actually cut and roll the ground appear to be replaceable. This plow also has a roller on the rearward most plow. Its connected with a chain. Where can you order new plow shares for old plows? thanks

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #8  
Im assuming its the share. The frame itself is straight. The flat metal pieces that actually cut and roll the ground appear to be replaceable. This plow also has a roller on the rearward most plow. Its connected with a chain. Where can you order new plow shares for old plows? thanks

You can google "turning plow parts" and get quite a few possibilities.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #9  
It would help to post a photo. Understand that each "bottom" is composed of four "wear parts": plow shares, shins, moldboards, and landsides. The first two are the leading cutting edge and need replacement most often. The latter two only need replacement in really old, heavily worn plows. To replace the shares and shins would cost about $40 per bottom, whereas the moldboards and landsides could easily be $150 per bottom. This is assuming these parts can be found. The small rolling "wheel" is a rolling landside and if trashed, will be hard to find and expensive.

So whether the plow is worth that price depends on it's condition. If simple shares and shins would get it going, maybe it's worth the price. If the moldboards are shot, no way would I buy it.

These statements are true for most plows. I am not familiar with the Ferguson and don't know if parts are available. Personally if I needed a plow, I would look for a good Ford plow. You can get good ones ready to go for under $500 easily.

Are the bottoms on this plow designed to "trip" when an obstruction is struck? It would either have shear pins or a spring mechanism. If it is a fixed frame, non tripping design, you could not give it to me. I just blew $400 on an old Ford plow without trip protection when I bent the frame.

Post some photos if you can.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale
Are there any 2 and 3 bottom plows being produced today that have the same quality of these old plows?