5288 hard to shift

/ 5288 hard to shift #1  

ken2430

i have a 5288 nice tractor but it is hard to get it into all the gears you have to jamb it into gear , once you get it in a gear it moves , dont think sentry switch

any ideas

/ 5288 hard to shift #2  
I believe you are asking about a Case IH of 150 hp or so with a power shift? I would suggest going to YesterdaysTractors.com and posting you're problem there. There a few very good Case mechanics that can help you.

Kim

/ 5288 hard to shift
the 5088-5488 were the last of the international seris,i have herd that they have had trany problems ,but it may be just rumer ,the tractor works great just purched it from a auction for 6500 with 5000 hours but question if the trany should shift that hard or if the clutch needs to be adjusted ,once and a while it will grind into gear like the trany brake is not working

/ 5288 hard to shift #4  
Just did some looking at Yesterdays Tractors and didn't find much. Was mentioned that they shift better after the oil is warm. Looked over at Red Power Mag and there was 18 pages on 88 series tractors. Sounds like the transmissions were good after updates were done. It's largely the same transmission as the Magnums used with different controls and that is probably the best power shift ever made. The only thing I read there that might be you're problem is that there was mention of an updated lube valve spool that helped with shifting. I by no means read all the post so you should go there and look for you're self and maybe ask for help there.

Kim

/ 5288 hard to shift #5  
From what I've seen you stole that tractor! Looks like the the going price is 15 to 20K!

Kim

/ 5288 hard to shift
thanks kim talked to dealer he says to drain all rear end fluids he traced the serial # the tractor came from the nebraska area and it may have the wrong trany fluid in it ,possably to thick for minn area

/ 5288 hard to shift #7  
It sure won't hurt anything (other than the pocket book) to change fluid and filters. I've heard the early Magnums held 35 gallons and the later more like 50. Who knows when it was last done. The lube spool valve update that was mentioned on Red Power was to reduce the flow from 2gpm to 1gpm to reduce the viscous coupling effect of the wet clutch discs. That would be the same effect that thicker oil might have on the clutch. I wouldn't think that there would have been a warm weather oil and a cold weather oil recommended by IH. I thought they used HyTran in everything. Be interested to hear if it works for you.

Kim (formerly from Nebraska)

/ 5288 hard to shift
changed all fluids and 3 filters today wow what a difference it shifts easy no grinding the old oil looked a lot thicker maybe not hytran, hydrolic pump is quit now ,

thanks for your input have a safe spring

ken

/ 5288 hard to shift #9  
Was the oil "milky" or off color in any way?

With a power shift trans, plugged filters or milky, greenish oil causes different shift issues. I've never had the issues you described, more of a slow shift, or like the clutch is slipping. The milky oil is caused by water over time getting into the oil and makes it thicker.

You also might want to cut the filters open to see what was in them.

/ 5288 hard to shift
oil was dicolored looked like differrent brands mixed together there was probabely 3 table spoons of water that came out first, filters the one towards the rear was slightly pluged with composit like material on the pre screen ,like brake pad or clutch material dealer says this is comen

thanks
ken