Sweet corn pre-emergent

/ Sweet corn pre-emergent #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Does anyone know anything about pre-emergent herbicide for sweet corn? We plant a few acres and last year the grass and weeds got ahead of me. I do not have an applicator licence but could get one if I had to.
In Ohio I can get Atrazine and I think Dual but I know zero about effectiveness and have no experience with them.
What I would like to see is a substantial reduction in weeds and grass. Usually, I sparay with Roundup, lightly cultivate and then plant. I searched but not much on this topic that I can find.
Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

/ Sweet corn pre-emergent #2  
I do not of any pre, or post emergent, weed killers for sweet corn. If there are, I will gladly take some.

Last edited:
   / Sweet corn pre-emergent
I do not of and pre, or post emergent, weed killers for sweet corn. If there are, I will gladly take some.

Couldn't I get by with a lighter dose of the same products used with field corn?

/ Sweet corn pre-emergent #4  
Couldn't I get by with a lighter dose of the same products used with field corn?

I am no expert, on this matter. However, it is my understanding that the "Round up ready" crops have a special gene added, that makes them immune.

Sweet corn does not have the gene.

/ Sweet corn pre-emergent #5  
If you till your ground and start with no weeds or grass, Prowl works great. It costs about 100$ for 2.5 gallons. It works great and I'll spray it twice a season to keep the weeds out. Not for sure on the rates of application but for 50 gallon tank I would use around a 3/4 of a gallon. Not for sure on the exact rates but this works for me. This chemical will turn everything yellow! You do not need a pesticide card in KY to buy it. Hope this helps you out.

If you till your ground and start with no weeds or grass, Prowl works great. It costs about 100$ for 2.5 gallons. It works great and I'll spray it twice a season to keep the weeds out. Not for sure on the rates of application but for 50 gallon tank I would use around a 3/4 of a gallon. Not for sure on the exact rates but this works for me. This chemical will turn everything yellow! You do not need a pesticide card in KY to buy it. Hope this helps you out.

You spray over the top of the corn? I have used Poast for grass in other crops before.
I looked up Prowl and as apre-emergent it appears to kill weed seeds but not corn seeds? And as a post-emergent it kills grass, but not corn--which is a grass?
Tell me more and thanks.

/ Sweet corn pre-emergent #7  
Yep I spray the day after I plant, and then once the corn is 6inched to a foot tall. It doesn't hurt the corn once its up and growing. I've used it for pumpkins as well. I kinda look at it as a liquid version of Preen. Will not kill plants like roundup will, this works on the seeds in the soil. For me it hasn't affected any of the larger garden seeds I've planted. I was really happy with how it worked last year and will use it again. It also works on green beans.

Yep I spray the day after I plant, and then once the corn is 6inched to a foot tall. It doesn't hurt the corn once its up and growing. I've used it for pumpkins as well. I kinda look at it as a liquid version of Preen. Will not kill plants like roundup will, this works on the seeds in the soil. For me it hasn't affected any of the larger garden seeds I've planted. I was really happy with how it worked last year and will use it again. It also works on green beans.

That's what I plan to do, spray with Prowl..
Tell me what you think of this plan---I'll spray with Roundup before I work the ground, cultivate and then plant. Then next day I'll spray with Prowl. And again as corn grows, spraying over the top of the row. Does this sound right?

How deep do you plant the corn so the Prowl doesn't hurt it? Does it hurt the corn to spray over the top? Have you ever added 2-4-D to the mix? Is it right that Prowl kills grass but not the corn, which is also a grass?
Thanks for the help on this...weeds and grass got ahead of me last year and I need to recover.

Last edited:
   / Sweet corn pre-emergent #9  
I planted one acre of Mosby's white field corn on Saturday (not Roundup Ready). I tank mixed 1 quart of Atrizine (pre-emergent weed) 1 quart of Simtrol (pre-emergant grass) and 1 quart of Roundup (for any existing weeds and grass) with 15 gallons of water and sprayed after planting. My Sunday School Teacher/Southern States Manager told me that you could use Atrazine and Simtrol on "any" corn as a preemergent at planting time.

I planted the corn seed about 2" deep.

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks ;) .

Chris

I planted one acre of Mosby's white field corn on Saturday (not Roundup Ready). I tank mixed 1 quart of Atrizine (pre-emergent weed) 1 quart of Simtrol (pre-emergant grass) and 1 quart of Roundup (for any existing weeds and grass) with 15 gallons of water and sprayed after planting. My Sunday School Teacher/Southern States Manager told me that you could use Atrazine and Simtrol on "any" corn as a preemergent at planting time.

I planted the corn seed about 2" deep.

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks ;) .

Chris

Please let me know how it works. THis could make life a lot easier for the sweet corn crowd. I'm doing more every year and the grass and weeds is starting to be an issue. Thanks