469 Haybine ??????

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #1  

xcsp

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-55
Hi just cut last week with my New holland 469 haybine Replace cutter bar and a new belt, the problem is it is still missing hay and leaving high spots , I also noticed that one of the new blades was worn on the new cutter bar.

What would be the solution to fixing this ???? also I have to go so slow or it will clog up on me ,

Any suggestions on what I should replace next to correct this problem
thanks
xcsp

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #2  
Shoe adjustment.
Header flotation adjustment.
Header tilt adjustment.
Reel speed, timing, fore & aft, height adjustments.
Worn out or maladjusted guards.
Unrealistic expectations about ground speeds.
Cutting down & rank growths while wet.

Got an operator's manual?

Order one here:
Choose Items

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #3  
Rick covered most everything.

This this a "new" machine to you or something you have had from a while and it just started?

Is the cutter bar a NH or aftermarket?

Take a string and run it down the tips of the guards are they all in a line or some up and some down.

Check the "wobble" drive, is it loose or have a bad bearing?

I don't remember what they are called but I call them the chatter plates. These are the plates that bridge over the rivets/bolts on the cutter bar and keep the knives where they should be against the bottom of the guard slot, are they worn or out of adjustment.

Is the guard where the knife was worn damaged or the knife slot worn funny?

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #4  
Clean the machine up with a leaf blower and send us a few pictures of the cutter bar area as seen from the front. That will reveal a lot.

Add missing teeth on the reel and a worn knife arm bushing to Rick's list. The reel speed should be slightly faster than the ground speed you choose. Start with a fast walk if nothing else is known. Its expected that you run the input at 540 rpm. The worn teeth are a hint. If the tips of the rock guards don't line up, take a long length of metal water pipe and stick it over the guard tips and bend as necessary to line them all up. Hammer the hold-down clips down (that may be what Jas means) until they press the cutter bar down to the guard platen.

You didn't say which belt you changed but its likely the reel drive belt (the easy one). The sickle drive belt change requires you to pull out the main drive gearbox to expose the end of the driveshaft. Both belts need to be snug to avoid slipping.

Watch some YouTube videos of 469 and 479 or 488 or 489 mowers to observe ground speed and reel speed action.

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #5  
Hi just cut last week with my New holland 469 haybine Replace cutter bar and a new belt, the problem is it is still missing hay and leaving high spots , I also noticed that one of the new blades was worn on the new cutter bar.

What would be the solution to fixing this ???? also I have to go so slow or it will clog up on me ,

Any suggestions on what I should replace next to correct this problem
thanks
xcsp

How slow is slow?

/ 469 Haybine ??????
here is a up-date on my 469 haybine ,I recently changed the belt on the sickle drive yes it was not a easy task,I did not change the belt on the reel drive did not notice any problems with that but it might be a good Idea to change it ?????.
Also put a new cutterbar in it before cutting this years hay, well as stated in previous post it did not help the problem with cutting the field lot of missed hay in field .

Ok so today I cleaned it up and took some pictures of the cutterbar and yes there are problems with the cutterbar ,some of the brand new knives are worn down with this first time use. As you can see in the pictures I will be needing to change some parts ????????

should I replace all the knife guards I beleive thats what they are called or just the ones that are bad ????????

Will this be the complete fix for my haybine ??????? the major cause of it clogging up and missing spots of cutting or is there other things that might me causung my problems ?????

I appreciate all the help I can get and suggestions
thanks
xcsp
54.photobucket.com/albums/s265/zrtkat/469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010004.jpg[/IMG]
469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010005.jpg

469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010006.jpg

469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010007.jpg

469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010008.jpg

469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010009.jpg

469haybinepicspicsofhay7-5-2010011.jpg

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #7  
Several of us have asked you questions that the answers would help us understand the problem better. Other than seeing the slot is worn, the photos don't help much. A better picture would be of the front of the whole cutter bar at bar level (I think that is what zzvyb6 wanted).

Why are they worn like that? Age? Or as we have asked guards don't line up?

You can buy all new guards, but if your speed is too high, or they don't line up your problem will continue.

/ 469 Haybine ??????
Several of us have asked you questions that the answers would help us understand the problem better. Other than seeing the slot is worn, the photos don't help much. A better picture would be of the front of the whole cutter bar at bar level (I think that is what zzvyb6 wanted).

Why are they worn like that? Age? Or as we have asked guards don't line up?

You can buy all new guards, but if your speed is too high, or they don't line up your problem will continue.

I know now the guards do not line up when i put the brand new new holland cutterbar purchased from my new holland dealer it would not slide in easy ,and after seeing the guards i know why now. I have had this machine for a few years and it is getting worse each year first year it cut great with no trouble .
thank-you
xcsp
Thanks
xcsp

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #9  
What we are looking for is a set of pix like these, showing the cutter bar, hold down clips, and ledger areas of the stone guards. Best scenario would be the entire set of guard tips all lining up level.

From the looks of things, your guards are worn in a manner suggesting a cutter bar or stone guard alignment problem.

/ 469 Haybine ?????? #10  
I know now the guards do not line up when i put the brand new new holland cutterbar purchased from my new holland dealer it would not slide in easy ,and after seeing the guards i know why now. I have had this machine for a few years and it is getting worse each year first year it cut great with no trouble .
thank-you
xcsp
Thanks
xcsp

I would as suggested put a string down the tips of the guards. As zzvyb6 stated use a pipe to pry the guards so they line up. Use these guards due to may be the plate they are mounted too and not the guard. Then replace them all and repeat the process. Get it so the cutter bar can be slid in easy. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a new cutter bar and hold down plates. From the pictures running that bar with those guards probably stressed the end bearing in the cutter bar so it may not last very long now.