IH 384 trouble- how do I get the air out?

/ IH 384 trouble- how do I get the air out? #1  

scooter001

I have a IH 384 that had been running fine, but then the other day she lost power and blew lots of black smoke. I made the shop[drove 100'] and she started running fine, so I drove down the front pasture[1000'] and lost power again? I could not start up again and towed back to the shop. I had fueled up when tractor was running and I thought maybe I have gotten air in the line? Is there anyone who has had this problem and knows how to get the air out of the diesel lines?:confused:thanks,Scooter

/ IH 384 trouble- how do I get the air out? #2  
I don't think adding fuel while running would cause air to get into the line. Were you almost out of fuel? I've had a tractor start missing when it had air in the line it did lose power but that was due to the miss.

It is possible that while adding fuel you had sediment from the bottom of the tank plug your fuel filter?

/ IH 384 trouble- how do I get the air out?
Thanks to all for the help. The problem was a fuel filter full of water. So with a clean filter, I was back in the saddle again, so to speak.:D This is my first tractor,[I inherited her from my Dad] so I have lots to learn. Again Thanks to all...Scott