445 long tractor hydraulics issues

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #11  
Hi everyone, I have several questions on the 445 long tractor. i recently bought one from a JD dealership and suffice it to say it is a little bit different from any of the other tractors I have owned:confused2:, they have no clue on any of the controls or service locations on the unit re: Hydraulics service, pump locations filters location etc, or what the function of the gears location is. I shows 5 speeds and 2 reverse's, but I can only get 3 speeds out of it and 1 reverse. Now past the ramble, does anyone have any diagrams on the floor controls, the serviceable locations on the hydraulics, and any other points of interest. This is just a bulky old tractor, but I want to make sure that it is serviced and/or repaired correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gary Y
I put 75W gear oil in my 445 & it worked fine. I think that any of the Fiats with the insertable strainer in the return line are supposed to have gear oil in the hydraulic system. That crescent shaped lever is the draft control. Your only supposed to move it when the lift is up. "Up" is "draft" & down is "lift". The draft will only work if you remove the spacer from in front of the toplink spring.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #12  
Hello, and welcome to TBN. Being a past Long dealer. I can help. First, get a copy of the owners manuel. Alot of useful information in it. Their are pasts forums on here with discussions on them. I might be able to get you one from my wholesaler but that is hit or miss. A 350,360, and 445 2wd are pretty much the same tractor with different HP. They had a10" clutch with a 6x2 tranny. The engine is 143 cu. in. with 41 pto hp. A 7/8" wrench removes all the drain (fill-1) plugs underneath the castings. Engine drain is on lower oil pan plate. Tranny drain is below the shift lever. Diff drain is just ahead of the drawbar. Fill plug is left side of gear shift lever which fills tranny, hydraulic, and diff. housings( About 22 quarts cap.). Any good quality universal tranny- hydraulic oil will work. If this is your first tractor, use extreme caution and get to know it. Operate it and know it limitations. They were a good old tractor from the 70's.

Thanks for the info, I have a Long 445 and the Bush Hog will not lift. It has been sitting for some time, and I really needed to know how to add hydraulic fluid. Thanks,
Steve Bisson

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #13  
I am taking care of a Long 445 in NH. I drove it recently and the bush hog will not lift. From other threads today I have discovered how to add hydraulic fluid so that it should work ok. Is there any way you could scan or copy that UTB lubrication chart to me? I have the service manual on order but any info or pdf file on the Long 445 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Fax (502) 243-1832
email: stephenbisson@mac.com

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #14  
stphenbisson said:
I am taking care of a Long 445 in NH. I drove it recently and the bush hog will not lift. From other threads today I have discovered how to add hydraulic fluid so that it should work ok. Is there any way you could scan or copy that UTB lubrication chart to me? I have the service manual on order but any info or pdf file on the Long 445 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Fax (502) 243-1832
email: stephenbisson@mac.com

My 445 does this also. Don't know why but it happens when the lift goes all the way down and sits for a while. If I have an implement on the back I just lift it with the loader on my other tractor. It's fine once the arms come up a little.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #15  
The position control external linkage would freeze up. Follow the position control lever down under the cover, u will see the linkage and rollers. Spray with a good quality pen oil first, then a lub oil their after. This is a built in option, that was incorporated in the UTB design. We fought the Romanians tooth and nail, but they never would improve it.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #16  
I have a U445 with an auger attached to the PTO. I have not used the auger since last year and I am now having an issue. The auger will only drill about 6 inches. It seems like the Hydrualic lift arms are not pushing the auger down. Does this have something to do with the draft/position lever. I have the lever in the down position but it still does not work. Any ideas.What should I check for? Can anyone explain the draft/ position lever function.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #17  
Does anyone know where to get a PDF file for the long 445 owners manual

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #18  
the tractor i have has it also and i think its for a hydraulic outlet, but i use it to bleed the hydraulics when their not working.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #19  
Manuals can be bought from jensales, link if it works. http://www.jensales.com/search.php?search_query=Long+445

Regarding the three point hitch, it dose not have any down force, gravity only. It is the post hole auger that pulls itself into the ground, perhaps it's damaged / worn out.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #20  
Check the two "starter bits" on your auger. One in the very center and one on the bottom of the corkscrew. Doesn't take much for them to wear out. I have both a 445 universal and a 510 Long. Service manual is for the 510 and a couple of other smaller models but most of the tractors are the same. PM me with an email address and I will see if I can email to you. Not great graphics because it was a free download I found somewhere but better than nothing.