445 long tractor hydraulics issues

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #1  

gary yarbrough

Tractor
445 long
Hi everyone, I have several questions on the 445 long tractor. i recently bought one from a JD dealership and suffice it to say it is a little bit different from any of the other tractors I have owned:confused2:, they have no clue on any of the controls or service locations on the unit re: Hydraulics service, pump locations filters location etc, or what the function of the gears location is. I shows 5 speeds and 2 reverse's, but I can only get 3 speeds out of it and 1 reverse. Now past the ramble, does anyone have any diagrams on the floor controls, the serviceable locations on the hydraulics, and any other points of interest. This is just a bulky old tractor, but I want to make sure that it is serviced and/or repaired correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gary Y

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #2  
:welcome:
It is a Long tractor, not a long JD 445 tractor. :D

Had me going for a minute.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #3  
Please show a picture. Long sold tractors built by Universal (Romanian Fiat license) Zetor and other brands. I guess yours is Fiat based but who knows for sure...

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues
I am aware that it is a long not a JD, it was a trade in at a JD deaalership, sorry for the confusion.. Gary

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #5  
Maybe they'll tell you how to reach the former owner who can advise you how to use the thing. May even tell you what's wrong with it!
Jim

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #6  
Hello, and welcome to TBN. Being a past Long dealer. I can help. First, get a copy of the owners manuel. Alot of useful information in it. Their are pasts forums on here with discussions on them. I might be able to get you one from my wholesaler but that is hit or miss. A 350,360, and 445 2wd are pretty much the same tractor with different HP. They had a10" clutch with a 6x2 tranny. The engine is 143 cu. in. with 41 pto hp. A 7/8" wrench removes all the drain (fill-1) plugs underneath the castings. Engine drain is on lower oil pan plate. Tranny drain is below the shift lever. Diff drain is just ahead of the drawbar. Fill plug is left side of gear shift lever which fills tranny, hydraulic, and diff. housings( About 22 quarts cap.). Any good quality universal tranny- hydraulic oil will work. If this is your first tractor, use extreme caution and get to know it. Operate it and know it limitations. They were a good old tractor from the 70's.

Thanks for the info Trac, The machine is an older unit, but seems to be working well for what i gave for it with a large front end loader. If you can find out any information on the manual, you can email me at gyarbrough57@hotmail.com. Again thanks for the info Gary

HI My name is gary yarbrough, we made contact in june 2010 about a long 445U tractor. You explained the hydraulics questions I had, but I am just getting aound to servicing the unit since I bought it. This must have been a tough old bird since I think the previous owner must have hated it, but just could not kill it. You stated that the hydraulics hold 22 quarts. My question is I can drain all the casesindividually, but can I fill them through the one 7/8 plug on the shifter plate, and will this fill all the cases (transmission/differential/hydraulic res) If this is the case, then my understanding, from what you origianlly told me is that they all use the same trans/hydraulic oil. Also, is there s filter in the hydraulic system which needs to be replaced, and if so where is it I finally have a lead on a service manual, and I thank you for you assistance. You can email me at gyarbrough57@hotmail.com. ps: I have finally figured out all of the levers except one, it is a cresen t shaped lever below the lift control, and it operates what appears to be an excentric cam mechanism. Well, thanks again and you can email me whenever you get the time. Gary

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #9  
I had a 460 a few years back.
The hydraukic pump is on the right side driven off the engine. there are metal lines from the pump to the lift cylinder under the seat. The hydraulic filter is in the larger metal line from the assembly under the seat to the pump. The filter is cleanable and reuseable generally (wash with diesel look for excess metal filings).
Pressure check the pump with a guage mounted on a remote plug using your remote lines. probably 2000 psi or so is ok.

The cresent shaped lever may be the speed control or flow control.

/ 445 long tractor hydraulics issues #10  
I just bought a 73 model Universal 445 and it came with a manual. It also came with a very large lubrication chart printed by UTB. The chart says to use 85W EP transmission oil in the hydraulic lift. I have always used hydraulic oil in my other 445. Is this recommendation correct? I'm thinking about changing my hydraulic oil to gear oil. Has anybody else ever heard of this?