CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!!

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #12  
Its not false. The only time a CV joint is necessary is when the input and output angles are different. Example would be in a FWD car where the outboard driveshaft angle is steered about large kingpin angles and the inboard angle off the transmission only sees small angle changes from plan view or front view motor movements or small angles from packaging considerations. In PTO driven equipment where operational angles can be different (snowblowers or mowers or rakes, etc.) a CV joint can be helpful to reduce vibration. The facts are that I indeed have U.S. patents on Rzeppa ('tripod'), close double Cardan, and a Thompson Coupling designs for steering system and power transmission devices used in the auto industry. That's almost 30 years worth of experience with it, too.

An important part of the driveline in tractor applications is the location of the hitch rotation point. There are spec's on the 3 pt link attachment locations (ASAE 217 and ISO 730) but not on the drawbar pin position. Many users set the drawbar where its convenient or where it is as shipped, not where the driveline swivel is intended to be located. And, BTW, having more than one CV joint in a driveline is redundant (uncecessary). Please don't confuse a CV joint with a Cardan or double Cardan mechanism.

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #13  
zzvyb6;2076519There are spec's on the 3 pt link attachment locations (ASAE 217 and ISO 730) but not on the drawbar pin position. [/QUOTE said:
Another false statement. ASAE spec's 14" from the center of the drawpin to the end of a 540RPM tractor PTO output shaft, 16" to the end of a 1-3/8" 21 spline 1000 RPM output shaft, and 20" to the end of a 1-3/4 20 spline output shaft. Industry standards for probably 40 years or more.

I stand by every word I have posted in this thread. My comments refer to the assembly referred to by the OP and commonly called a constant velocity joint by every agricultural equipment manufacturer that uses them in PTO drivelines. I am most assuredly not confused.

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #14  
The facts are that I indeed have U.S. patents on Rzeppa ('tripod'), close double Cardan, and a Thompson Coupling designs for steering system and power transmission devices used in the auto industry. That's almost 30 years worth of experience with it, too.

Rick is correct on the standards for a PTO, these have been around for a long time.

Also if you hold the patent on the Rzeppa joint you died in 1965! Rzeppa worked for Ford in the 1930's.

Who Invented the Constant Velocity Joint?

The inventor of the Thompson coupling is Australian and has a company that makes them today and he claims to have the same patent you do.

Thompson Couplings Limited - Company Profile

Funny thing about inventions, a lot are named after the inventor. I think you facts are a little suspect. Or maybe these go with the 1000 RPM small square balers you referenced a while ago but wouldn't name the machines.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ag-tractors-machinery/152281-older-square-baler-speeeds-2.html

Last edited:
   / CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!!
Just thought I would give an update on my original thread 4 years ago. Recently, I have noticed a vibration in my steering wheel while shredding. It was somewhat intermittent but seemed to be getting worse. I suspected it might be my blades, and I was due for new blades anyway, so I replaced them. The problem did not go away. I took the male portion of my driveline (complete with cv joint) to the dealership and they confirmed my suspicion. My CV joint was indeed sloppy. They ordered me an aftermarket replacement shaft. Now my shredder operates like a Singer sewing machine.....smooth as silk!

Sooooooo, the moral of this story is:

Know where exactly to grease your CV joint!!!
Grease it often and grease it liberally!!!

Hope this helps someone from prematurely wearing out a shredder CV joint!