CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!!

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Bought a new Rhino TR120 shredder earlier this summer. This is my first drag type shredder to own. I have only ever owned and operated a 6' 3pt. type. Anyway, the dealer told me how important it is to grease the CV joint every 8 or so hours. I heeded his advise and greased it well every 8 hours or so even though the big bulky safety shield made it difficult. Anyway, I finished my shredding for the summer and was giving my shredder a good cleaning before I put it up in the barn. I removed the shielding for cleaning and noticed a grease zirk that I never saw before. Then I realized it was the zirk for the CV joint. I had been greasing the U-joints in front of and behind the CV joint. I pumped about 50 pumps into the zirk before grease came out. I put about 20 hours on this mower without ever greasing the CV joint :( Oh well, live and learn. Maybe Ill get lucky and did not cause too much damage.

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #2  
I do not think your hours were excessive on your NON grease interval. Maybe if it been 200 hours use there may have been some slight damage. At 2000 hours the story could have been much different.
Craig Clayton

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #3  
I pumped about 50 pumps into the zirk before grease came out. I put about 20 hours on this mower without ever greasing the CV joint :( Oh well, live and learn. Maybe Ill get lucky and did not cause too much damage.

How much grease is called for? It is usually not a good idea to pump grease till it comes out. This can blow out seals and allows dirt and moisture in. With bearings and gears this can lead to over heating.

In a lot of new machines a little less grease is better than too much. A friend of mine was greasing his disk mower everytime he used it (about every 2-3 hours) instead of every 10-50 hours depending on the fittings as called for. This I believe, (along with the head mechanic at the dealership that fixed his machine) caused his U-joints to fail all at about the same time on the PTO. Of course this depends on the application, some things you can grease till it pumps out.

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #4  
Chances are the CV joint never even saw any articulation. If the included angle between the tractor PTO shaft and the drive shaft is the same as the included angle between the drive shaft and the mower gearbox input shaft, then the CV joint is not articulating. Equal angle conditions are constant velocity (input to output) without a CV (constant velocity) joint being prsent.

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!!
Interesting, when would the CV joint come into play during the normal operation of a drag type mower?

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #6  
Interesting, when would the CV joint come into play during the normal operation of a drag type mower?

the cv joint is part of the driveline for the mower to allow sharper turns

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!!
Is it the case, that if you dont turn too sharply, the CV joint might not really come into play? In other words, can the Ujoints in front of and behind the CV joint handle fairly wide turns by themselves?

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #8  
Is it the case, that if you dont turn too sharply, the CV joint might not really come into play? In other words, can the Ujoints in front of and behind the CV joint handle fairly wide turns by themselves?

This is true if a man will take the time and watch what he is doing but it is better to run one with the cv joint to prevent damage to both the tractor and mower. I never run any pull style equipment without a cv joint.:)

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #9  
Pharmvet, thanks for the post. I just checked my CV on my shredder and my baler. Sure enough, I missed the grease zerk.

Got it now!

Thanks again,

JD in Texas

/ CV joint woes on my new Rhino Shredder!!! #10  
Chances are the CV joint never even saw any articulation. If the included angle between the tractor PTO shaft and the drive shaft is the same as the included angle between the drive shaft and the mower gearbox input shaft, then the CV joint is not articulating.

Patently false. The only instance where the CV would not be articulating is when the PTO shaft is in perfect alignment (in all planes) with the tractor's PTO output shaft. The angle of the rear joint is immaterial. In the real world, this happens just about exactly never.

AG PTO shaft CV joint center plates have no seals, they cannot be overgreased. If they aren't slinging excess grease all over the shield bell or rear of the tractor, they are undergreased. Undergreasing will sooner or later cause premature wear & failure. CV's are not cheap, it is best to grease them liberally & often.