Problems with Massey 124 Baler

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #1  

nwwy

Tractor
JD 4520
Hi -

I'm brand new at this forum, and I hope this is the right place to ask for help. I have a Massey 124 baler that used to be very reliable. I broke a needle and decided to go ahead and buy two new ones since the other needle was showing a lot of wear. I put in the needles, made the usual adjustments, ran the cycle manually (without hay) and everything lined up perfectly. Then, I went to the field today to try baling some oat straw. The first few bales weren't very good, but I thought it would be fine if I made a few 'field adjustments'. I didn't even get the chance, though, since one of my brand new needles just broke!! Can anyone give me a clue as to what may have caused this? I'm at my wit's end. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #2  
Hi -

I'm brand new at this forum, and I hope this is the right place to ask for help. I have a Massey 124 baler that used to be very reliable. I broke a needle and decided to go ahead and buy two new ones since the other needle was showing a lot of wear. I put in the needles, made the usual adjustments, ran the cycle manually (without hay) and everything lined up perfectly. Then, I went to the field today to try baling some oat straw. The first few bales weren't very good, but I thought it would be fine if I made a few 'field adjustments'. I didn't even get the chance, though, since one of my brand new needles just broke!! Can anyone give me a clue as to what may have caused this? I'm at my wit's end. Thanks in advance for your help.

My baler is also an MF124.
"Usual adjustments" ------ which adjustments?
Did you go through the plunger safety stop adjustment procedure?
How about the needle brake adjustment?
Is the needle swing frame returning to the home position correctly?
How about the trip clutch on the knotters--is it operating correctly?

Sounds like your needles are not timed correctly and/or are not returning to the home position properly.

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler
Yes, I checked everything you mentioned before trying to bale the straw. I am wondering if it's possible that the needle just wasn't tight enough??? The other needle looks fine.

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #4  
It looks like your presumption is that the needle(s) were broken by the plunger. I presume the same thing that broke the needles the first time is breaking them now. Sooooo...

Either the baler is out of time (the plunger is misphased with the needle lift via the knotter drive), or, the needles are hitting something on their way up or down when the needle lift bar is being pulled (retracted) or pushed. Look for a shear pin broke in the needle lift bar/tube.

What tell-tale marks are on the needles? Did the plunger strike them? Does the knotter frame show a massive strike or rub? Are they the correct needles for this machine?

Take off the needle thats still good and lay it on a piece of cardboard or plywood. Then spray paint from the top to get its outline. Compare the old needles to this image and see if you can tell where they were struck. You can also use this image to have the old needles welded back into shape. All 3 of them!

The real question is why are the plunger stops in operation (or not) when they shouldn't be needed if the machine is timed properly.

Thank you very much! I'll try that. I really appreciate the help from both of you!

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #6  
G'day as stated check for signs of the needle hitting something it is possible that you may have just had a faulty needle. Is it poss to take a close up pic of the break and post it?? might be able to see something

Jon

Hi again -

I really thought I had this thing solved, but another needle just bent. :mad:I worked on the timing, and everything was perfect when I ran it manually in the yard. Then, I went into the field and tried making a bale - and on the first one, the left needle bent! (If it helps, it's always the same needle that bends.).

It seems like getting material (straw) in the chamber causes something to get out of line. I'm having the needle welded this time since it's just too expensive to keep buying new ones!

I'm about ready to just burn the straw! :( Please help...

Thank you.

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #8  
When you are timing the needles on the baler are you doing it with the plunger coming forward or going backward.

I have seen something like this before on a Deere 336 baler. The instructions tell you to cycle the baler by hand till the (I'm going by memory) needles just start to enter the chamber, then measure the distance from the needle to the plunger face. The plunger should be coming forward still. One guy did it with the plunger going backward. So as the needles came up they were hitting the hay in the chamber. On the 336 the needles should come up through slots in the face of the plunger. The plunger should be fully forward right when the needles are up in the knotter. It kept happening to him on 1 side due to the one side didn't have a dogg to hold the hay, the other side did. Took me a while to figure out what was happening. Hit needle that broke had no marks on it other than the break.

Is it possible you have a similar situation?

I'm not sure, but I'll check it out! Thank you very, very much.

/ Problems with Massey 124 Baler #10  
I'm not sure, but I'll check it out! Thank you very, very much.

Yeah, check the dogs on the baling chamber.
Do you have hay wedges installed in your baler?