New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions

/ New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions #1  

4720 OWNER

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Just received a pull behind sickle mower by new idea, i can just read the tag on it and believe it says 255 model. I have checked the other threads about sickle mowers but did not see anything on this particular model. It is rusty and has been outside for about 10 years but the bar goes back and forth when i turn the pto by hand so that part is ok at least. The real PROBLEM at this point is i used to have the manual printed out that i found on the 'net' somewhere, that of course seems to be unfindable now and i certainly do not need an original book to get me started. Also for some reason cannot find the particular site where the manual was, i must have found it by accident.

Any one willing to share?

Sure would beat using the scythe (sigh) plus the price was right!!!

/ New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions
When i opened the link it was out of stock. Plus do not really need the book itself just the info, i would be more than happy to leave the book to a collector. Maybe the library of congress?

Was interesting to see it is not as old as i thought. Only the early 60's, heck it is younger than me!!

/ New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions #4  
I got the owners manual for the New Idea Model 250 Semi Mount Mower. This has a single trailing wheel.

/ New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions
The 255 is a whole trailer, 2 wheels, pto, and a drawbar. But we are getting closer. I am not sure if the mechanism is the same??

I have seen Ken Sweet in here with lots of similar stuff, this just is not restored in any way. About the only other resources i have is may be able to latch onto a couple extra bars to keep sharpened, but i really wanted to have a resource manual before trying to take some of it apart and see what is good and what is bad. I am thinking have to take the nut off the hunk of metal holding the bar up in traveling position. Have seen there was some rope of some kind to temporarily raise bar over gopher mounds and such but that is missing on this unit so i am not sure how to route it.

All and all i am happy to get it but do not want to wreck anything unnecessarily trying to get it into the back fields. So for now back to the scythe and the hand rake.

/ New Idea pull behind sickle mower questions #6  
I got my manual off ebay for around $5. They pop up from time to time.