Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #1  

Joe Kliesen

Tractor
5000 Ford
What do I have to change in the wiring to hookup a delco one wire alternator on a 5000 ford gas tractor 1965 model. all help appreciated thanks Joe

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #2  
What do I have to change in the wiring to hookup a delco one wire alternator on a 5000 ford gas tractor 1965 model. all help appreciated thanks Joe

Welcome to TBN.

I did this on an 8N...Have to dig through my memory to remember what I changed around. Are you going from 6v to 12v or is is already a 12?

As I recall the changeover was pretty simple. Brackets can be a bit of a pain, but nothing major.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #3  
I once converted from 6 to 12 volts on an old jeep.
Never changed the starter, it just cranked faster and started sooner.

Besides the alternator I did change all light bulbs however.

Naturally the ignition coil needs to be adressed as well.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #4  
You can do this ONCE it's converted to 12V, but not before.

As to how to wire it in, that is as easy as any wiring job gets.....

Remove (pull out) or tie-back and tape all but the main battery B+ wire from the old group of wires to the alternator. Install the Delco, then connect the B+ wire (12V connected to battery) to the B+ stud on the alternator. You are done!

The regulator in the Delco draws a *very* small amount of current at all times and it will charge automatically without any additional wires.

Battery + -> Alternaor B+ and that's it.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #5  
Because of the slight daaw i ran mine through a oil pressure switch and then to the battery.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #6  
I have been planning on converting my 12v, '71 5000 but don't quite understand what to do with the wires going to the voltage regulator and the generator. I think I could find the B+ connected to the regulator. Also is there any problem with oil press and temp gages working. Any suggestion on a size/model no. that wont stick out to far from the hood panel.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #7  
it is already 12volt from the factory

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #8  

My 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel has a one-wire Delco alternator. Here's the wiring diagram I made when I disassembled the tractor for restoration.

MF135 wiring(RJS--) (Small).jpg

You have to run the engine up to 1800 rpm or so to polarize the alternator get it to start charging the battery--one of the peculiarities of the one-wire alternator.

Good luck with your project.

/ Delco one wire alternator installation on 5000 Ford #9  
if you will call your local alternator rebuilder ask him to get you the generator to alternator bracket kit it is sold by a company calll jimco. if this cannot be done please call me i can get it for you it will be about $35 to $40 very easy to install with this kit. as wiring goes all you need is a goold solid hot wire to pos post on alternator and off you go it is also advisable to get as small o/d pulley you can find this will allow the alternator to turn on at very low rpm as does on most farm tractors run. my number is 678-478-7427

good luck

mitch becton