Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part!

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #1  

Montana Marc

Tractor
John deere
Please, anyone out there smarter than me with this thing....should be thousands of ya'...lol...

I've got a 490 New Holland Haybine. We bought it with the "head assembly" (better known to us as the &^$%### arm off the wobblebox that keeps ^%$%#$& breaking!) arm broken, told that this was the only thing wrong with it. Well, I certainly hope so, 'cause that's plenty!

So we replaced it, made it half a day, and the arm broke again. The bushing and everything is brand new. We carefully greased everything and looked for anything that could have caused stress on that part, since we also found another broken one rattling around--meaning this is at least number three--but are ready to scream.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be doing this? That arm runs the sicklebar back and forth, and while it was working it ran great, though it did vibrate quite a bit, but now we're grounded again....

Thanks so much!

:mad::confused::(:mad::confused::(

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #2  
Welcome. OK, how about a little more info (or better, a picture of the broken part and a front and side view of the installed wobble box. Are you saying that the wobble yoke has broken? Where and at what location? if you have an old one can you weld it back together? Is it hitting anything? what does it sound like with the cutter bar removed? Are you using the OEM grade and length knife bolt?

More to follow when the descriptions come in. Looks like there are 2 different part numbers for the yoke (see fig 4 and 4A). One has a flat section at the knife connection, the other has a dogleg in it. I could see where using the wrong yoke would cause excess strain on the mechanism and fatigue the yoke arm.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #3  
Our 489 breaks lots of bolts but not the pitman arm. Ours breaks bolts because the bar is too tight. The bar is too tight because rock hits have bent the guards up and they have been shimmed down and bent to get by that day.

You should be able to move your bar back and forth by hand when its clean.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #4  
Its usually a result of misalignment of the knife and guards in relation to the wobble box arm.(Bend the guard support down to line it up with the wobble box arm)or excessive binding of the knife.
The WB arm should pass freely over the knife head with bolt removed but the bolt should drop trough the arm bushing and the knife head without binding.Tighten the bolt down in mid stroke.

Bottom of arm bushing and top of knife bushing should be square to the bore and to each other.

The knife should pass freely by hand trough the guards without binding.
Loose/worn brgs and a worn pivot pin in the bottom of the wobblebox should be taken care of as well to make all run smooth without banging.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #5  
Our 489 breaks lots of bolts but not the pitman arm. Ours breaks bolts because the bar is too tight. The bar is too tight because rock hits have bent the guards up and they have been shimmed down and bent to get by that day.

That's my vote too.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #6  

Im with him sorta.

If it were mine I would dump it.

You need really ideal conditions to move on with a bine without burning money.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #7  
We have a 490 new Holland haybine and we had a lot of problems with the bushing and the bolts breaking. I had to go through the sickle and replace worn guards, add a few hold down brackets and shim them so they are free when the sickle is moving and also made sure all the brackets are there and where it is supported. It really does vibrate a bunch but once I repaired brackets and put guard on I have not broke a bolt or bushing in a year and a half knock on wood!

Please, anyone out there smarter than me with this thing....should be thousands of ya'...lol...

I've got a 490 New Holland Haybine. We bought it with the "head assembly" (better known to us as the &^$%### arm off the wobblebox that keeps ^%$%#$& breaking!) arm broken, told that this was the only thing wrong with it. Well, I certainly hope so, 'cause that's plenty!

So we replaced it, made it half a day, and the arm broke again. The bushing and everything is brand new. We carefully greased everything and looked for anything that could have caused stress on that part, since we also found another broken one rattling around--meaning this is at least number three--but are ready to scream.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be doing this? That arm runs the sicklebar back and forth, and while it was working it ran great, though it did vibrate quite a bit, but now we're grounded again....

Thanks so much!

:mad::confused::(:mad::confused::(

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #8  
dull sickle and worn out guards will cause this to happen. Causes a lot of (shaking). Not really shaking just seems like it because it is trying to cut with a dull sickle or worn out guards. If that is the problem use chromed sections when you replace them. They are tougher and stay sharp longer then the mild steel ones. I get them at the local Farm and Home store.

/ Aaaahh!Help!!!!New Holland Haybine keeps breaking same part! #9  
There's a very good reason that manufacturers went to a dual sickle design for mower conditioners 12 feet wide and more. A single sickle that long works OK when everything is new, tight , and right. Then it goes downhill fast. Your 490 is somewhere between 40 and 45 years old. After only 5 years, it was replaced by the 495 which was built for 15 years, then the 499 with dual sickles and was built for over 30 years. Bottom line is, it was not a terribly successful machine when new. A long time ago.