Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!!

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #1  

smgriffin

Tractor
Kubota M125X, JD 5425
I was mowing with a lightly used Vicon CM2200 disc mower Friday and it broke the curtain bar almost in half. There is some bracing on the other side of the break but not enough. I like the 3 blade design of the Vicon mower but now I am not sure about the quality. I also have a Kuhn disc mower and it is built like a tank.

Has anyone else had any problems with Vicon mowers?

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• PA200504.JPG
    PA200504.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,589
  • PA200503.JPG
    PA200503.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • PA200506.JPG
    PA200506.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 877
   / Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #2  
Man, that looks almost like someone cut it or scored it. Cleanest break I have seen.

Aaron Z

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #3  
I was mowing with a lightly used Vicon CM2200 disc mower Friday and it broke the curtain bar almost in half. There is some bracing on the other side of the break but not enough. I like the 3 blade design of the Vicon mower but now I am not sure about the quality. I also have a Kuhn disc mower and it is built like a tank.

Has anyone else had any problems with Vicon mowers?

Thanks,

Steve

To prevent stress in that area, most cutters have a end brace that goes from the tarp support down to the cutterbar. Does yours have that? Maybe it is missing? Ken Sweet

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!!
Originally, I thought a piece of bracing had fell off the other end of the curtain bar. I looked at Vicon's parts manual and could not find anything. I also looked at the Kuhn mower that I have and it does not have any bracing at the other end of the curtain bar either. Of course, comparing the Vicon to the Kuhn is not really a fair comparison. The Kuhn mower is in a different class. I have emailed the dealer, who has emailed the manufacturer to get their input.

For those who use disc mowers, I have a question. When mowing do you pick up your mower when making turns? I mow in a circle and do not always pick up the mower. I realize that this causes extra stress on the mower but after watching several videos on youtube.com it appears some people do pick up the mower and some do not. I guess it depends on what you are mowing with. A Vicon or a Kuhn.

Steve

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #5  
Originally, I thought a piece of bracing had fell off the other end of the curtain bar. I looked at Vicon's parts manual and could not find anything. I also looked at the Kuhn mower that I have and it does not have any bracing at the other end of the curtain bar either. Of course, comparing the Vicon to the Kuhn is not really a fair comparison. The Kuhn mower is in a different class. I have emailed the dealer, who has emailed the manufacturer to get their input.

For those who use disc mowers, I have a question. When mowing do you pick up your mower when making turns? I mow in a circle and do not always pick up the mower. I realize that this causes extra stress on the mower but after watching several videos on youtube.com it appears some people do pick up the mower and some do not. I guess it depends on what you are mowing with. A Vicon or a Kuhn.

Steve

I also mow in a circle and yes I lift the mower. Less stress ... Either way I don't think that should have broke!!

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #6  
At least the cutter bar didn't break. I agree clean break, some angle iron and a liberal application of Lincoln locktite and your all set.
I mow in 6 or 7th in circles and almost never lift the mower.

Thanks for the replies. I looked in the Vicon owner's manual just to see if they mentioned about lifting the mower when turning. I could not find anything. I also have an older NH 442 disc mower. The curtain arm on it is beefy too. Guess what. It was made by Kuhn for NH.:)

Does anyone have a newer Vicon disc mower? I wonder if they have added any additional bracing. The one I have was bought in 2006. I am anxious to see what the manufacturer says.

Thanks,

Steve

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #8  

Steve

We have sold hundreds of new disc mowers and ours have the end support. The consensus on lifting on corners or leaving the cutterbar down is about 50/50 feedback I get from my customers. On our farm, we leave the mower down on the corners and mow out the corners the last thing before we leave the field. Ken Sweet

The manufacturer has agreed to replace the broken part. I must provide the labor. I am eager to see if the part has been improved or not. I should get the part next week. I still like the Vicon 3 blade cutting system. I just would like to see a little more "beefy" parts. :)

Steve

/ Vicon CM2200 Disc mower breaks in half!! #10  
The manufacturer has agreed to replace the broken part. I must provide the labor. I am eager to see if the part has been improved or not. I should get the part next week. I still like the Vicon 3 blade cutting system. I just would like to see a little more "beefy" parts. :)

Steve

For next season, we are stocking a Superior Disc Mower (G & S) with 2 or 3 blade options. Price will be around $6295 on a 6 head machine. Ken Sweet