IH 47 Baler

/ IH 47 Baler #1  

Jim at NineTrees

Tractor
1959 Case 410B and Kubota BX2660
Hey all, I am still on the lookout for a baler and think that I may have found one. Any IH 47 twine baler. It does not look bad in general, no rust, barn stored but all good things have issues and this baler has a couple.

The guy is selling it on consignment for $900.00, so that is good cause I do not have a bunch of $$$'s. Last year he was baling and it was missing half the bales. When I was looking at the knotters the bill hooks are bunched up with old plastic twine that was a cheaper variety (I had thought that these balers work better with sisal and a higher quality). And the knotters are each in different positions which I think then the timing must be off.

So is this baler any good? I have heard mixed reviews. I am only baling 10-15 acres (rotating pastures) with two cuttings. The tractor is a 45 horse with a 38 pto so that should not be an issue with this baler (min is 35 pto).

As always, any suggestion like run away before I waste my money is greatly appreciate. I have to say, this baler looks really good, good rubber, no rust, drive is in good shape, there is some paint flaking off but not bad.

So what to look for or should I pass and keep looking for a different baler.

thanks
jim

/ IH 47 Baler #2  
i am partial to nh balers so i couldn't give much advise but what do u mean by the knotters are in different positions is the cam gears in differnent postions the twine holder the knife arm because these parts would work of the cam gear on a nh and they are operated off the same shaft that is solidy mounted between the two and there is a gear that is chain are belt drive and thats the only place it can get out of time i believe i know thats how it is on a newholland

/ IH 47 Baler
whodat526,

i do not know how best to describe it and I am not the best at balers by any stretch .... but yes the knife arms seem to be in different positions. I would think that this may mean the timing is off or an something is broken.

Any suggestions? I was looking a NH baler too but my tractor just does not have enough HP.

thanks
jim

/ IH 47 Baler #4  
Can ya get Parts for it?

/ IH 47 Baler
yeah I still get parts for the most of the baler to include needles. OF course the knotters are a different story. What an old baler pro told me that the IH 47 had a knotter called a "sure knotter". It is the knotter that will pose a problem. It ties a short little knot from what I gather. The parts of the knotter are all there and according to my friend nothing is broken and the baler is very sound ... except it is still missing half the bales. We are going to run some straw through it and see what happens.

So again, any criticism is greatly appreciated.

Jim

/ IH 47 Baler #6  
how many hp tractor do u have u can run a 273or 310 on a 8n ford just dont be getting into any races. the 273 or 310 nh is easy to time and u can still get all the parts for it.

but the knife arms run off the cam gears and if they are in different place the shaft between the two cam gears is most likly twisted and will need to be replace
but without seeing pictures i cannot be certain but from what u described thats what is sounds like

but there can be alot more problems that can cause it to miss bales and some cheap to fix so quite high

/ IH 47 Baler #7  
IH machines seem to require very little in the way of HP, not sure why.
I believe some 47s had the "all twine" knotters and some didn't. If this one doesn't I would stay away. And this would explain the plastic balling up on the bill hooks. I'm not expert enough to be able to explain the difference to you though. Sorry.
900 is steep imho. Especially with a knotter issue. I wouldn't go over 500.

/ IH 47 Baler #8  
yeah I still get parts for the most of the baler to include needles. OF course the knotters are a different story. What an old baler pro told me that the IH 47 had a knotter called a "sure knotter". It is the knotter that will pose a problem. It ties a short little knot from what I gather. The parts of the knotter are all there and according to my friend nothing is broken and the baler is very sound ... except it is still missing half the bales. We are going to run some straw through it and see what happens.

So again, any criticism is greatly appreciated.

Jim
Yes. And Clean the plastic out of the knotters and use sisal 10000. My IH37 wont work with plastic. It doesnt cut well.
larry

/ IH 47 Baler #9  
If ya don't think your Tractor's got the HP to run a Baler... You might look for a Baler with it's own engine.

I pull a 430 Hayliner with my little Kubota 4350

/ IH 47 Baler #10  
Hey all, I am still on the lookout for a baler and think that I may have found one. Any IH 47 twine baler. It does not look bad in general, no rust, barn stored but all good things have issues and this baler has a couple.

The guy is selling it on consignment for $900.00, so that is good cause I do not have a bunch of $$$'s. Last year he was baling and it was missing half the bales. When I was looking at the knotters the bill hooks are bunched up with old plastic twine that was a cheaper variety (I had thought that these balers work better with sisal and a higher quality). And the knotters are each in different positions which I think then the timing must be off.

So is this baler any good? I have heard mixed reviews. I am only baling 10-15 acres (rotating pastures) with two cuttings. The tractor is a 45 horse with a 38 pto so that should not be an issue with this baler (min is 35 pto).

As always, any suggestion like run away before I waste my money is greatly appreciate. I have to say, this baler looks really good, good rubber, no rust, drive is in good shape, there is some paint flaking off but not bad.

So what to look for or should I pass and keep looking for a different baler.

thanks
jim

That IH baler is similar to my MF124 two-twine small square baler which also is speced at 35 hp min, although there is a youtube video showing a guy with a restored Farmall Super A (16 hp pto) running an MF124-sized baler without difficulty.

YouTube - FARMALL Super A

(check at about 5 min into this 7 min video).