Pouring That Diesel

/ Pouring That Diesel #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
I've read the other discussions on diesel and how to obtain it, transport it and store it. I've also heard the pros and cons (not to mention legality) of gravity-feed systems, and I even bought a drill pump to try out myself. I changed my mind about that one without even trying it, thanks to the controversy it raised on this board.

So when finally faced with a near-empty fuel tank, I took my pair of yellow diesel fuel cans to a well-trafficked diesel stop, filled 'em up and trotted them back to my tractor. I really like the yellow plastic cans so far 'cuz you can easily see the level of liquid inside while your filling them up.

So far, so good -- the yellow cans are keepers, but...

Then came the getting-it-into-the-tractor part. I heard some of you whine about how heavy and awkward it is to pour from 5-gallon cans into the gas tank of the tractor. But I go to the gym. I'm tough! I spilled diesel all over myself, the dashboard and the seat, while dang near wrenching my back. Move over, whiners -- make room for one more. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

My jury-rigged large funnel was more hindrance than help, but it was clear to me that I was not going to repeat that episode next time.

Next time around (I've only had 2 go-rounds so far) I was more prepared. I had purchased some 3/4-inch vinyl tubing, a couple of hose clamps and one spring clamp. I hoisted the diesel can up and hung it from the eves of the shop, connected the tubing to the spout of the can and clamped the other end at the filling tube on the tractor, and then just tipped the can by hand (see attachment). It took less than 60 seconds to empty all 5 gallons into the tank. It works especially well if you remember to open the air vent on the can. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Proof of concept complete, I'll install a pulley to make the hoisting part easier, and unless somebody has some better ideas, I think I'm all set.

BTW - Anybody know how to get diesel stains out of blue jeans?

HarvSig.gif

/ Pouring That Diesel #2  
Harv,

Thanks for the report!
That picture is going into my favorites so that when I get my tractor I can (thanks to you) get it right on the FIRST go-round.
Larry

/ Pouring That Diesel #3  
Harv, ain't never tried on CLOTHES but Cheer works great on oil spills, etc on concrete floors. I used to use it on the bay floors of a three bay Chevron that we used to own. I can't see where it wouldn't work just as well on what it was actually designed to be used for! (I'd try a pre-soak with a fairly strong soap solution rubbed in before the actual wash)

/ Pouring That Diesel #4  
Harv,
For the diesel in your clothes,try a little Simple-Green in the wash. My wife uses a lot of it to get the oil and grease out of my clothes. It has taken out everything that we have tried it on. You can pre-soak or just put a half cup in with the detergent.
JerryG

/ Pouring That Diesel
Thanks, Scruffy -

I'll have to pick up some Cheer on the sly. My wife uses nothing but the most natural, environmentally friendly, biodegradable, hypoallergenic detergents. They are so friendly, they don't even bother dirt! /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

This is one of those battles I long ago gave up on, but every once in a while I sneak in something that actually cleans. So, shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Mum's the word. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pouring That Diesel
Hey, thanks for the reminder, Jerry!

I bought some Simple Green a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the stuff. If I can just remember where I stashed it I can give that a try before I go buy the Cheer.

HarvSig.gif

/ Pouring That Diesel #7  
Harv - The Simple Green has always worked well for me on oil, diesel fuel, about anything you can name. And it may save you from having to cheat on your wife, too. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BTW, cool fueling rig! But couldn't you have roped the container up by the handle on the side where the spout is stored? Then you wouldn't even have had to tip it manually. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC

/ Pouring That Diesel #8  
Sorry Harv! I guess I can chalk another one up to 'senior moments', I forgot all about Simple-Green, even have a gallon jug out in the garage.

/ Pouring That Diesel
Mark -

I found my gallon jug o' Simple Green. Will give it a try in the morning.

As for roping up the diesel container by the other handle, I was just being very cautious after that first fiasco. I didn't want any pouring taking place until everything was in place. I will experiment with different variations, such as the one you mentioned, and try some tricks with pulleys just for fun.

I should reiterate to those of you who might be getting these same yellow plastic diesel cans -- they are great containers, but as someone already mentioned earlier in another thread, you must tighten the spout on really tight to prevent leakage at that point. I intended to try a thicker O-ring than the one that comes with it, but I left all that stuff up at the property, so now I don't know what size to get. This long-distance relationship with my tractor has a lot of drawbacks... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pouring That Diesel #10  
I solved the 'heft and balance that jug of diesel' problem by buying a couple of pumps from Northern Tool. The pumps just screw on to standard fuel cans. So, I just set the can on the tractor seat, put the imitation gas station pump handle into the tank and pump away. I would buy a higher quality version of this type pump if available, but these do work, and they're cheap.

Oh yes, and if you haven't tried it yet, I found topping up the hydraulic oil (particularly the front axle) to be a greater aggravation than filling the diesel tank. For hydraulic oil, I got a pump that fits in a steel lid that replaces the lid on a standard 20-liter oil can. Works great, and the quality is OK.