Is this hay rake worth saving?

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #1  

MikesTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
1964 Ford 2000D and 1959 Ford 801
I came across an old side delivery rake today. It has a couple of trees growing through it. The owner told me that it hasn't been moved in 40 years (see the size of the trees).

I would like to salvage this rake and restore it. Most of the mechanical parts (gear box, gears, drive axle, wheel ratchets, etc) and the frame look to still be in good shape. The wheels are pretty much gone from rust, plus the one with the tree in it is shot. One of the rear wheel assemblies is missing. The tires are hard rubber (no air), and I think they can be salvaged.

I did a little research on the internet, and it looks like this may be an old International Harvester. I can't find an ID tag, but the gear box has "I-H" stamped in the top cover.

Does anyone know if there are there any parts available for this rake, especially wheels. I can have a machine shop make most metal parts I need.

Sorry about the quality of the pics. They were taken with my phone.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• 2011-02-11_16-18-35_426.jpg
    2011-02-11_16-18-35_426.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 2011-02-11_16-06-38_31.jpg
    2011-02-11_16-06-38_31.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 625
  • 2011-02-11_16-08-01_825.jpg
    2011-02-11_16-08-01_825.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 1,038
   / Is this hay rake worth saving? #2  
It was put there for a reason let karma take care of it.
If you had 3 or 4 of those you might make a useable rake.
If they gave you the rake and the trees take em otherwise no.
You can buy a useable finger wheel 4 or 5 wheel rake for around 400. A bar rake for around 600 and a useable star rake for about 1000.
Try craigslist or some of the farm equipment auctions

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #3  
I d definatley save it. I have a friend that that got an old Case out of a tree like that. He cut the tree down and used an electric saw and a grinder to clean the trees out or the spokes. It looks pretty complete but may need a few peices of strap iron. I hate to see old iron going to a scrapper. My friend with the Case got is working in a few hours after it was freed with lots of blaster. He actually raked hay for me and my mini baler this summer with the Case.

I dont have my antique tractor done yet but I have won some ribbons for My old equipment I have salvaged. I have an old Case ground drive to power angle the gangs. Its a 47 model. I also hae a few plows and an antique Gandy spreader to. THeres getting to be a bigger calling on implements at shows now.

Last edited:
   / Is this hay rake worth saving?
This isn't going to be a piece of equipment that has to work every day, I was planning to restore it more as an antique. I love old farm equipment. I have worked on it and around it for the last 30 years, and I'm just now starting to collect some of it.

The same man also has a 501 Ford sickle mower that I can get cheap. I think the mower would look good on the back of my '63 2000 diesel that I just bought, but that's another story.

I think I'm gonna get the rake. I'll have to wait a while to get it out though. Its too muddy to get anything in there right now. It would look good sitting out in front of my shop.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #5  
don't be surpriced if there is not much left of tire part thats in the grond.
I got an old horse drawn seed drill in much the same position(trees growing trough it)
I was thinking of salvaging it,but it might be no use.

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #6  
I have that same rake but its got a maple and an oak growing out of it. The maple is almost biggest enough to tap (8 inch dia), if you don't mind that and a few bullet holes you can have it.

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #7  
I would save it, it is a piece of american history, i would hate to see it thrown away. I salvaged an old moldboard plow from my great grandmothers old place but it was too rusted out to restore and the brand it unknown so I put it one of the flowerbeds in our yard. Looks great there. :thumbsup: I would not heasitate to restore that hay rake, keep us updated on the progress.:thumbsup:

/ Is this hay rake worth saving?
OK, I talked to the owner again today and I have agreed to "save" the rake. I won't be able to get to it with a vehicle until probably early summer. There is just too much mud. I'm going to go ahead and start cutting it out of the trees maybe this weekend.

I might be giving too much for it, though, he wants scrap price for it :D. He has a 501 Ford sickle mower that I am getting also. He has more equipment that I am interested in, but he hasn't decided to let go of it yet.

I'll keep this updated as things happen.

Mike

/ Is this hay rake worth saving? #9  
OK, I talked to the owner again today and I have agreed to "save" the rake. I won't be able to get to it with a vehicle until probably early summer. There is just too much mud. I'm going to go ahead and start cutting it out of the trees maybe this weekend.

I might be giving too much for it, though, he wants scrap price for it :D. He has a 501 Ford sickle mower that I am getting also. He has more equipment that I am interested in, but he hasn't decided to let go of it yet.

I'll keep this updated as things happen.

Mike

All right, making some good progress. :thumbsup: Pictures of the restoration are more than welcome, in the mean time, congratulations! :thumbsup: Looking forward to the project, and the removal of the rake from the tree trunk. :thumbsup: