Round baler advise

/ Round baler advise #1  

elkhurst1

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH tn75da & tn55
I'm thinking of buying a used round baler this spring. As of now I'm still in the "dark ages" with an old Int. 37 square baler. I have never been around a round baler and most local folks tell me to buy a high moisture machine.
I don't raise any livestock and pretty much sell all of my hay. I believe I need to stay in a 4x4 machine for ease of handling the rolls but a 4x5 wouldn't be out of the question. As for horsepower, my biggest tractor is a NH TN75. And most baling conditions will be on flat ground.
I'd like to stay in Agco-Massey, New Holland or maybe JD lines for local parts availability.
As of now I can only store my round bales outside so net wrap might be my best option but I'm not sure how that compares with the cost of twine and possibility bagging my bales?
Any thoughts on what brands and models I should start looking for? :confused:

/ Round baler advise #2  
i have a nh 648 and from my expeirence of working on them and operating them they are by for the easiest and your tn75 will pull it with no trouble and it can bale 4x4 and 4x5 bales

/ Round baler advise
Is your 648 Hi moisture, mesh or twine?

/ Round baler advise #4  
I'm thinking of buying a used round baler this spring. As of now I'm still in the "dark ages" with an old Int. 37 square baler. I have never been around a round baler and most local folks tell me to buy a high moisture machine.
I don't raise any livestock and pretty much sell all of my hay. I believe I need to stay in a 4x4 machine for ease of handling the rolls but a 4x5 wouldn't be out of the question. As for horsepower, my biggest tractor is a NH TN75. And most baling conditions will be on flat ground.
I'd like to stay in Agco-Massey, New Holland or maybe JD lines for local parts availability.
As of now I can only store my round bales outside so net wrap might be my best option but I'm not sure how that compares with the cost of twine and possibility bagging my bales?
Any thoughts on what brands and models I should start looking for? :confused:

Here are links to 2 round balers that we have running on Ebay and we also just got in a Hesston 5540 4x5 bales for $4250. Ken Sweet

Used New Holland 846 Round Hay Baler, Manual Tie - eBay (item 150552215011 end time Feb-20-11 09:21:20 PST)

Used Hesston 540 Round Hay Baler, Roller, SHARP - eBay (item 150514598057 end time Mar-02-11 04:57:28 PST)

/ Round baler advise #5  
I have a nh 7090 make any size up to 5x6. I don't run twine takes to much time to wrap, net cost is about $2 a bale. If you are storing outside I would
net. Also square are easier to sell and you will make more $$. I would say to hire your baling done would be cheaper in the long run, unless you bale alot
of bales, I have nieghbers that hire me to bale @ they bale 300 to 400 every year. Just my 2 cent worth.

/ Round baler advise
I would stay with square but the problem is getting help to get it into the barn. I have seen 4000 square bales in a year and that's a lot for me to deal with only having hit or miss labor. I can pretty much roll my hay and do it myself with maybe my wifes help.
I've had several different people put my hay up for me over the past several years, and I really like that concept. But, anymore, my hay is always on the back burner and not getting put up in a timely manner.
So right or wrong, that's why I'm thinking of jumping into it myself.
And like most people , I'm on a budget. So buying new is out of the question.
I just don't know what's out there that would do what I want it to do at a fair price.
I do feel the wrap would be the way to go also. Would the hi moisture machine be the way to go as well?

/ Round baler advise #7  
Try to stick with a belt-style baler built within the last 12-15 years. Chain-style and older belt-style balers are not only more apt to be worn out due to age, the technology behind them is largely obsolete. Buy a brand that has parts & service fairly close by if possible. That may not always be easy. A baler designed for silage bales will have features that make it more durable than dry hay only machines, but that advantage may be negated by the rigors of making thousands of silage bales. machine condition is paramount once you find a brand and model that has a proven reputation. New Holland, John Deere, Vermeer and Hesston balers should be considered. Older CaseIH balers are rebadged Hesstons, newer CaseIH balers are rebadged New Hollands.

/ Round baler advise
For RickB...
What is the difference between a dry hay only round machine and the hi moisture baler?
And is the hi moisture baler something I should consider?

/ Round baler advise #9  
Have u asked your nieghbor to put up on shares? Might get done in a more timely manner. Good little bales(50 lbs.) in Il. are around $3 a bale big rounds
(5x6) are $40 a bale do the math.

/ Round baler advise #10  
If I was doing square bales, I would pickup one of those used New Holland $5000 square bale loader/stackers. That would get square baling down to a 1 man operation. Our Local labor pool are all drawing and a job would mess up the gumment check. Ken Sweet