HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE!

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #1  

Massey_lover

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 250, Belarus T-40A
I got my atv stuck in the last little bit of snow around here two nights ago, it was dark so I left it and walked home. Yesterday afternoon, I got the old MF-50 out to go pull my bike home, got down to where I'm stuck no problem. Turned around, still no problems. Halfway up the hill that I was stuck at the bottom of, tractor starts to spin, so I stop and try to back down. ATV's aren't long enough to back up like a trailer. I got jack-knifed on the hill so I just shut the tractor down, unhooked the four-wheeler and rode it to the bottom. Anyway, I started the tractor back up, tried to shift into first so I could get straightened back out on the road, and my shifter wont move!
H-N-L still works fine, clutch still stops tractor, PTO and Hydraulics all work, trans won't shift at all. I'm wondering if it could be my shifter has disengaged itself from the rails inside the transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #2  
Try to disengange the H/L lever and the 1/2/3/4 levers if you have them then let the tractor roll a bit then see if you can get it in forward after

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE!
I got it to shift again. Now I just need to get the hill I'm stuck on to thaw so I can bring it home.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #4  
I'm not at all familiar with your tractor but this happened to me and I think it was on my MF 35. The 35 has an oil fill hole next to the shift lever and all I did was take a long screw driver and stick it thru the oil fill hole and I was able to pry on one of sliding gears and it moved easily.
Al

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #5  
Be sure to not lift or pull up on the shifter. Always push down on it when shifting. If you shift this way, it won't jam between gears again.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE!
yeah, thanks for the advice. I guess sometimes you just have to learn things the hard way. But, I'm only 16, so I have lots of time left to learn. Kinda funny, it took me longer to drive the pin out of the shifter so I could put it back in place than it did to put it in and get the pin back through it. And then I got to put my ice chains on it. While it was stuck on an icy hill. Good times.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #7  
I'm not at all familiar with your tractor but this happened to me and I think it was on my MF 35. The 35 has an oil fill hole next to the shift lever and all I did was take a long screw driver and stick it thru the oil fill hole and I was able to pry on one of sliding gears and it moved easily.
Al

Exactly, I've had this issue with both my 265 and my 271 xe. You don't have to pull the shifter, its accessible through the oil fill. And its much easier to do than it sounds. Just a long screwdriver a little pop and your good to go. Oddly enough I always get stuck in reverse as well.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #8  
If it's like the old Farmalls, the end of the shift lever gets worn, and it won't disengage the shift forks. The red tractors would actually get stuck in two gears at the same time! The first gear wouldn't disengage, but the next would engage. Tractor would stall as soon as you let out the clutch.

The solution is to pull the shift lever, build the material back up on the end with a welder, and grind it back into shape. It doesn't have to be exact. It's more trial and error, but the shifter will feel like the day it was new when you are done.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #9  
i agree had to do the same with my farmall h worked good after the tip of the shifter was built up.

/ HELP! I'M STUCK IN REVERSE! #10  
Try to disengange the H/L lever and the 1/2/3/4 levers if you have them then let the tractor roll a bit then see if you can get it in forward after

Ford 6640 stuck in reverse. Hi lo works