row crop farming

/ row crop farming #1  
Tractor
JD 5055d
After raising hay for the last 20+ years I thought I would try some row crop farming. would like some advice on what equipment I will need and the best way for weed control.

I have a field cultivator, disc harrow and a border maker but nothing more that would be used in row crop farming. (I will be attempting to grow green chile.)

/ row crop farming #3  
Where are you located?

I don't know anything about commercial chili production (green or otherwise), but I did find a 2007 enterprise budget for chilis from Colorado. This is a prototype budget and so the production expenditures would differ across farms.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/abm/chilipeppers07.pdf

The budget shows weed control through both hand labor and black plastic.

You might want to check with your local Cooperative Extension office and the Horticulture Department of your land-grant university -- there may be a fruit/vegetable production handbook (guide) that would provide info on chili production in your state/region.

Good luck in your venture.

Steve

Last edited:
   / row crop farming #5  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Ag Tractors & Machinery Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ row crop farming #6  
As for "weed control", specifically what weeds are you trying to "control"? That'll have a great deal to do with what steps you take to control them.

/ row crop farming #7  
Have you Googled green chile? I found some good info on growing it, including where to go for weed control information, from the New Mexico Dept. of Agriculture. I live in MN - I don't even think I could grow them in a greenhouse. My father-in-law, however, did grow them in MO, but not on a real large scale, only a few acres worth.

/ row crop farming #8  
We grow several hundred hot pepper plants here in NY. Our best yeilds are by using raised beds with black plastic mulch, drip irrigation, and early/late row covers to prevent frost kill. Weeds are almost a nonissue with the plastic. Have also used RYE and OAT straw as mulch between rows to reduce weed pressure. (tried both killed and spread) Moving to killed mulch between rows for ease and effectiveness.

I can't give you a good cost break down per variety on them as we sell by farm "subscriptions " (csa) and not market farm style sales.