4 row JD 71 Flex Planter seed hoppers planting corn

/ 4 row JD 71 Flex Planter seed hoppers planting corn #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I may have the wrong planter for what I'm trying to do. I plant six fairly small gardens, all corn. All areas are half acres. The hoppers are so big that for the small amount of seed corn we plant it barely cover the bottoms. Are there aftermarket hoppers that are smaller so the seed is a little higher and will find the drop hole to the plate discharge. With seed prices like they are No One could ever afford to fill those giant hoppers. It's a pretty cumbersome operation trying to maneuver a small utility tractor and plant straight rows and make sure the seed is going down the discharge plates. What brand or make of planter do you guys use to plant corn? bjr

/ 4 row JD 71 Flex Planter seed hoppers planting corn #2  
When coming to the end and trying to use up all the seed in the hoppers i usually ride on the planter for a few runs or if it's dark throw in more than i need then clean out after and use next year !

/ 4 row JD 71 Flex Planter seed hoppers planting corn #3  
I may have the wrong planter for what I'm trying to do. I plant six fairly small gardens, all corn. All areas are half acres. The hoppers are so big that for the small amount of seed corn we plant it barely cover the bottoms. Are there aftermarket hoppers that are smaller so the seed is a little higher and will find the drop hole to the plate discharge. With seed prices like they are No One could ever afford to fill those giant hoppers. It's a pretty cumbersome operation trying to maneuver a small utility tractor and plant straight rows and make sure the seed is going down the discharge plates. What brand or make of planter do you guys use to plant corn? bjr

At an auction, a few years back, I did see an insert inside a fiberglass hopper, around the size of a large coffee can. I am sure it was used to reduce the amount of seed needed in the hopper while planting. You might look for a tapered pail or bucket and cut off the bottom so that if fits inside the hopper.

/ 4 row JD 71 Flex Planter seed hoppers planting corn #4  
Luremaker said:
At an auction, a few years back, I did see an insert inside a fiberglass hopper, around the size of a large coffee can. I am sure it was used to reduce the amount of seed needed in the hopper while planting. You might look for a tapered pail or bucket and cut off the bottom so that if fits inside the hopper.

I saw in the owners manual that they had vegetable seed hoppers. This is whatyou could use