NEED HELP JD 336 baler

/ NEED HELP JD 336 baler #1  

disco

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 & JD 4020
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I baled almost 600 bales yesterday with no problems.
Today I get into it and I start breaking shear pins on the flywheel. I might bale 10 then break or 50 then break. It seems that the needles are dropping early from their home position. Just about when then bale is at full length. They drop down about 4". Just enough to trip the safty stop. Then wham. The shear pin breaks. I can replace and it will work fine for a little bit. I am using a 4020 to pull it with. It is nice dry grass hay.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks Paul

/ NEED HELP JD 336 baler #2  
You may need to tighten the needle brake. I'll bet its lost a lot of its effectiveness. Check for missing brake pad material as long as you are back there....

/ NEED HELP JD 336 baler
Thanks for the reply.

My neighbor long time farmer came over and said that he thought that was the problem. We cleaned the disc, In the morning I plan on taking the pads off.

Thanks Paul

/ NEED HELP JD 336 baler #4  
The needle lift brake is most likely the problem. It has two springs that tighten down on the disc. There is also a tension pin that goes through the disc on to the shaft. Make sure that pine is in properly. There is not much friction material on the brake pads. Maybe 1/8 of an inch thick when new, not much more. Pricey, last set I bought 40 EACH. After you get break together besure to recheck adjustment on plunger stop rod.

/ NEED HELP JD 336 baler
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

I had tried to tighten up the the brake. It did'nt make any change. So I took it apart and inverted the brake pads. They were pretty worn. Works great now. I did order new ones. $60.00. Just baled 400 bales. The high today is 100. Great day to make hay.

Thanks again Paul