International 430 Baler Problem

/ International 430 Baler Problem
I'm still working on it. I pressure washed it and had a good look at the knotters, one thing that caught my eye was that the shaft that the twine disc bolts to on the "good" side was sloppy, while the other side was frozen. I removed all the bits of twine and worked it back and forth and it freed up. I seemed like it may have been bound by hardened grease.

I want to know to what extent that could be the problem, so I'm going to button it back up, grease it good and try it before doing anything else.

I got a little sidetracked because in my frustration I went to Craigslist and bought a NH 273 for $1300. :cool: I cleaned it up and am taking the kicker off, I should be able to test it out today. :thumbsup:

/ International 430 Baler Problem #22  
You should have said you were looking for a baler, I would have sold you my 435. Heck it has 2 springs!
I picked up a CIH 8530 inline this year so the 435 is just sitting.

/ International 430 Baler Problem
You should have said you were looking for a baler, I would have sold you my 435. Heck it has 2 springs!
I picked up a CIH 8530 inline this year so the 435 is just sitting.

It was a desperate impulse and a serious amount of dumb luck. I decided before chores in the AM that I needed to do something drastic, so did a Craigslist search and lucked on to the NH. Sent an email and returned a callback at lunch, went to look in the afternoon and dragged it home. I just finished a test baling, it's working fine but I sense it could use a knotter tuneup.

Distance would probably have been an issue with your baler anyways, at least I'm going to tell myself that in case I missed out on a great deal. :D

/ International 430 Baler Problem #24  
I have a 37 which lovingly made bales for years. One winter I totally took apart the knotters and cleaned them thoroughly one at a time so as to have a pattern to note as I put it back together. Just by cleaning them thoroughly that 37 ran like a champ and tied like a champ then the feed jambed (wore out) and after taking it clear down to the bone I have yet to fix it. Just to say...cleaning the knotters goes a long way to perfection...just watch carefully as you take it apart and put it back together exactly the same way.

/ International 430 Baler Problem #25  
One thing to keep in mind on knotters is one, don't tie them dowm tight. That little tab on the bale chamber and the tab on the knotter(s) need a little bit of play. My old hayliner had hex cap screws with nylock nuts that I just ran down but not tight. The 575 has cross drilled pins and hairpin cotters.

The knotters need to move slightly as the plunger packs the bale chamber. The knotter brake will hold the knotters in place but they still need to move slightly.

Maintenance on knotters is paramount on any machine and that means regular greasing of all grease fittings. NH recommends every 1000 bales, I grease mine every day I use the bailer. Knotters, bell cranks, needle pivots and oil the chains and grease the gears. All NH bailers use a similar hypoid gearbox to power the plunger eccentric and in later year bailers, to run a PTO chain to drive the knotters. There is a little grease fitting behind the flywheel halfway up the gearbox. Don't forget it. A few strokes every season is enough.

I carry a stiff bristle paintbrush and in the field, I clean the knotters every few hours. Helps prevent a mistie.

When I'm done with the bailer (applies to all my hay implements), I take a blow gun and blow all the chaff off. I never pressure wash a bailer. After the blow off (and me as well), I grease the machine(s), check the tire pressures and spray WD40 in the throat, bale chamber and chutes and then I cover the business end with a tarp to keep the rain off (my implements sit outside all summer and go inside in the winter).

I have a bulk greaser with a 150 foot hose but a hand grease gun is just as good. I use a high tack synthetic grease. Clay based grease causes what happened to you, the grease hardened in the knotters. Synthetic don't harden up. Without starting a discussion on greases and what's best, I use Mobil Synthetic Orange. I use it on all my equipment and my vehicles. It appears to work just fine, for me.

/ International 430 Baler Problem #26  
my baler is not picking up the straw
off the ground
does any body know how to fix this
plz help