International 430 Baler Problem

/ International 430 Baler Problem #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
I'm hoping the IH baler gurus can help me, I'm at my whit's end.

The knotter on the outside gets twine wrapped constantly lately, it's been acting up for a few years but really bad now. The twine knife is sharp and in the same position it's always been in. I've checked needle adjustment, it's good. Lately I'm suspecting twine tension. Now I'm wondering if the twine routing has been altered by the previous owner. Is there supposed to be a spring under the twine box? My Model 47 doesn't have one. I can't find one in the parts manual. Picture below.

Thank you in advance.

P1020307docsmall.jpg

/ International 430 Baler Problem #2  
That is clearly agroenginering at its worst.

/ International 430 Baler Problem #3  
Cool design change but not the right solution. You want a friction force to maintain tension in twine exiting the twine box, not a spring compliance. Friction gives it damping. Compliance gives you twine bounce, which make cause a few problems, among those being the tucker fingers miss the twine.

Now back to the original question. Do you mean that twine gets wrapped around the billhook several times? If so, Its not being scraped off by the wiper arm. Check the movement of the wiper arm by tripping the knotter and moving the flywheel VERY slowly to check on whether the wiper arm has any clearence when it passes by the billhook. If so, bend it until there is a scraping action across the billhook. That will push the completed knot off the jaw. The fact that you have one working OK makes the problem easy. Make the bad one just like the good one.

/ International 430 Baler Problem
So the spring was not part of the original design? I'll take it off tomorrow! There was always one there and I never thought about it.

I'll also check the wiper arm. I'm not sure what that is, but I'll study the manual before I go to the field, thanks!

/ International 430 Baler Problem #5  
Don't have the 430, but I do have a Massey Ferguson 124. For what it's worth, here's the twine tensioner on the 124.

DSCF0020 (Small).JPG

It's just a simple clamp arrangement that is designed to tension both twines equally with one adjusting bolt.

Your setup looks like the tensioning is done differently on each twine so it's probably more difficult to get the tension set properly on your baler.

Good luck.

I took the spring off and there was a big improvement. It still wrapped a few times, but much less, making me think twine tension is the right ballpark for my problem. I noticed a couple of times there was slack in the twine between the twine box and the thimble on the bale chamber. I've got the tension adjustment in the twine box all the way down, maybe I need new springs and plates?

At any rate, your advice got my hay baled, I'm most grateful. :)

/ International 430 Baler Problem #7  
G'day check your tension plates for grooves worn by the twine if they are there then pull them off and build up with weld then you need to smooth them down flat. I find one of those flap type grinding discs great for this as they leave it nice and smooth. The grooves will stop you putting enoungh tension on the twine

Jon

Thanks, that's my next thing to do. :)

/ International 430 Baler Problem #9  
I have 2 springs on my 435 one for each roll. Same with the my 440. I can take a picture of the twine springs for you.

I took the twine plates off and they do have grooves in them. I ordered a pair from Case/IH, they should come tomorrow. Almost $25 each, wow! I priced a hay retainer plate for future reference, over $300 dollars! I guess they figure they can charge anything they want since they've got owners of older machinery over a barrel. :(