Looking for a good older square baler

/ Looking for a good older square baler #1  

foreman Etexas

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota (2010)M7040,(2012)M7040,New Holland(2004)TL100
I am interested in getting an older square baler any suggestion on what to get? I have been debating on doing some of my own hay baling just a few hundred a year cause its hard to get someone to bale so little but I have some smaller fields that I could square bale thats not worth someone to come out and do,but cant turn the cows in cause no fencing so its just going to waste.I currently round bale 30ac.but they dont wonna waste there time going to this small patch to this small patch and I understand.

/ Looking for a good older square baler #2  
Couple of questions here for what you are trying to do.

Who will cut, ted, and rake this hay for you to bale? Will it be the guy that round bales your 30 ac's or are you going to cut the equipment to do that also? Are you really sure it would not be worth fencing instead of baling?

As to good older baler. JD and NH both made many good balers years ago. Personally I am a JD fan and user, but have a great respect for many of the older NH's. Parts play a bigger part in what may be right for you, more so than make. Is there a good JD or NH dealer near you, and if so which is better for your operation?

One thing about the older balers is that some times you can find a barn treasure, that is one that has been put away for upteen years and was not worn out when it was put away. These require some work to locate, but can be well worth it.

JD balers. Probably the most popular older JD's are the 336 and 346. 336 was a smaller capacity than the 346 and would more than do what you want. Personally I use two of them and we run about 20K a year through them with out much trouble. There is nothing on these balers that cannot be repaired if you know what you are doing. A little older JDs were the 24T and the 224T. If you can find a barn treasure on any of these they can do the job just fine. If they have been left out side for years, do not walk away, RUN AWAY!

Hopefully some one else can fill in more details on the older NH balers like the 60 series and the 200 or even 300 series. There are some major design differnces between the two brands, but they both will get the job done.

Older IH balers never did work right when they were new, so they tend not to do any better as older balers. Parts are also a real problem on IH balers.

Best I idea for what you want to do, stick with the big two JD or NH

/ Looking for a good older square baler #3  
I have to agree with Barry...
Around here NH is more popular than Deere in square balers...
My dad sold for the local dealership here for over 25 years...
They carried New Holland and put a lot of those units into the fields...
Parts and support are still very good for those units...
You will pay more for a New Holland but in my opinion they are worth it...

/ Looking for a good older square baler
Well the fields are within the 300ac.that is not fenced and they are fields just here and there.I would have alot of$ tied up in fencing off the total 300ac.witch I would have to in order to get every field.Yes,it would be nice but I would also have to doze the fencelines off before fence is installed. I can get a older sickle cutter that my father-in-law will give me and I can pick a rake up. We have both JD and NH around here but I have found someone who has a old hayliner 315 but he wonts $3500 and it has been setting outside for cple years,but has only cple thousands bales.

/ Looking for a good older square baler #5  
Around here 3500$ will buy a nice baler, with a thrower. I gave 2100$ for a really nice JD 336 8 years ago, good baler, I've put about 40,000 bales through it now. They still sell for about the same.

I don't like the way the NH packer forks work running in loops on a chain. Neighbour has one, the chain broke and caused 1000$ of damage.

/ Looking for a good older square baler #6  
I am interested in getting an older square baler any suggestion on what to get? I have been debating on doing some of my own hay baling just a few hundred a year cause its hard to get someone to bale so little but I have some smaller fields that I could square bale thats not worth someone to come out and do,but cant turn the cows in cause no fencing so its just going to waste.I currently round bale 30ac.but they dont wonna waste there time going to this small patch to this small patch and I understand.

JD and NH balers are good (so I understand--my baler is a Massey Ferguson 124 two twine small squares). I bought my 124 right out of the field--the previous owner had baled 30 acres the previous day and sold the 124 because he bought a JD 336 and didn't need two balers. So I knew the 124 was working OK (paid $2000). I'd suggest you try to find a deal like this so you'll know that the baler works acceptably.

/ Looking for a good older square baler #7  
I would also say try to stick with JD, or NH. If that 315 has sat outside I would keep on looking, but it may be worth it if you can get it for less. If the knotters have rusted up you could easily be talking a few hundred to fix them. Dont be affraid to get an older baler as long as it's in good shape. As Flusher said, try to make sure you can see it work. You can tell a lot about a baler by looking at the bales that it makes.

I had been half looking for a baler for awhile, and kind of had my heart set on a NH 27x series. Most of those are running in the $1500-$2500 range in my area, and are good balers for smaller acrage. But last weekend I found a NH#67 which was older then what I was looking for. But it made some nice looking bales, and with rebuilt knotters I just couldn't pass it up $500. I'll put her to the test on my second cutting and see how she does. I will probably upgrade in a year or two, but the 67 will serve as a cheap backup.

/ Looking for a good older square baler
What are some the better model #s or is it just all of the JD and NH balers? I t has been setting outside going on 2yrs,Ill probaly try and look at it this weekend.What do you think the baler roughly should be worth,if its a descent baler.I know im not going to be able to see it run over there cause they isnt any hay to be baled,not good!! And the stuff I am wonting to at my place is burning up!!

/ Looking for a good older square baler #9  
Let me address your question on the JD side. In the early 60's they made the 14t and the 214t. Best just to stay away from these as parts are getting pretty hard to get any more. Late 60's was the 24t and the 224t. If they are in GOOD condition, shed kept and taken care of, the 24t is fine for the little bit you want to do, and the 224t will do a whole lot more than you need, but is a fine piece. There are some basic engineering differences between them. The 24 was the economy model, and the 224 was the professional model at the time. Next in the early 70's came the 336 and the 346. 336 is still a journeyman baler. Parts readily available, good capacity, sound machine. 346 was a few more stocks per minute, a wide pickup, squeezer doors in the chute, and 6 hay dogs instead of 3 like the 336. 336's can range from 500 to as high as 4000 of a really clean great unit. 346's range from 1500 to 6000. There are still thousands of these baler still working out in the field.

As to the one that has been sitting outside for a few years. RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!!!! You are likely bitting off much more than you can handle. Especially if it was left out side with hay or straw in it. The rust will be massive and extremely damaging to what is left of the baler. If you had lots of experience working on them and you got if for a few hundred not thousand, maybe okay.

As to the difference in hay feeders on JD vs NH. JD uses the auger behind the pick up, and NH uses the feeder forks. Both work, but the operators ability is more important. Main advantage to the NH forks, you can bale corn fodder with it, but not with the JD auger.

Keep looking, you will find something, but you will likely not find it in time to do you much good this year. Set your sites on next year and spend the winter getting the baler ready. If you get a JD and need info or help with it feel free to ask, and I will do what I can.

/ Looking for a good older square baler #10  
Go for a 337 over the 336 you will thank yourself for getting the wider pickup.
Don't discount the IHs they are good balers, and usually cheaper than the green ones. I haven't had good luck with MF balers, but I have some neighbor's who swear by them.