JD or NH round baler - that'll handle silage bales.

/ JD or NH round baler - that'll handle silage bales. #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
Want to go to big rounds - not too big - 4'x5'. They fit on a 8' foot trailer real well - side by side without sagging on the edges real bad!

Would like the baler to handle high moisture bales, too. I'd be able to bag 'em for haylage if needed and would have the insurance policy of getting forage off the field - regardless of the "weather window" closing in sooner than the weather forecast!!

Gotta be NH or JD. No reliable service or parts up here for other manufacturers!

AND the real kicker.... I'd like to keep it within shooting distance of $10K!

Appreciate any opinions and advice.

AKfish

/ JD or NH round baler - that'll handle silage bales. #2  
nh 648 silage special is a real good baler

/ JD or NH round baler - that'll handle silage bales. #3  
i would get the newest jd i could afford.on the jd i really like that it does not have a gate latch.latches on round balers get clogged up at times.one thing i really do not like on the nh baler is the gears on the rollers on the variable arm. if you had a dealer vermeer would be a good baler.

/ JD or NH round baler - that'll handle silage bales. #4  
I would get the newest jd i could afford. On the JD I really like that it does not have a gate latch. Latches on round balers get clogged up at times. . .

^what he said.
JD builds a "Silage Special" that is tailor made for the job.
Here: John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 458 Silage Special That's a 4x5' roll. Also, the 468. (4x6)

If you need to spend less money, look at the 457 and 467 series. (smaller last number just indicates a little older model)
Here's a real nice 457 SE (silage special): 2005 JOHN DEERE 457SS Hay and Forage Equipment - Round Balers For Sale At TractorHouse.com